The learning objectives of the Art and Design Department include the following:
- To assist undergraduate students to develop problem-solving abilities which bridge visual and verbal thought processes;
- To develop an adequate vocabulary for speaking and writing of their understanding and appreciation of art and design;
- To promote understanding of the practices, history and social context of the full gamut of diverse cultural representation in the field of art and design;
- In the SXU Gallery, to sponsor provocative and inspirational exhibits by professional artists/designers working in various representative media and cultural contexts;
- To develop in students the skills necessary to create visual artistic statements of their own, and the resiliency to succeed in a competitive, changing world;
- To foster a vibrant community of leaders, committed to collaboration and exchange of ideas and skills, instilled with the desire and ability to continue lifelong learning.