WElcome to Mathematics at SXU
The Mathematics Department builds a strong sense of community among faculty and undergraduate students in exploring the beauty and importance of mathematics.
Our faculty members are dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship. The broad range of faculty research interests in mathematics and mathematics education includes: abstract algebra, advanced calculus, applied mathematics, solitary waves theory, developmental mathematics, differential geometry, differential and integral equations, discrete mathematics, history of mathematics, numerical analysis, probability and statistics, representation theory of finite dimensional algebras, ring theory, mathematical knowledge for teaching and processes by which mathematics teachers incorporate technology into their teaching.
Mathematics majors qualify for a broad range of careers in business, industry, government and teaching. Careers include urban designer, stockbroker, public utilities analyst, population ecologist, animator, epidemiologist, cryptographer, statistician, quantitative analyst, financial aid specialist, teacher, pollster, appraiser, actuary, banker, forensic analyst, underwriter, professor, production manager, technical writer, benefits administrator and others.
Our graduates are employed as actuaries, statisticians and in other positions at firms such as Allstate, Fidelity, Spencer Stuart and with the U.S. federal government. Graduates are pursuing and have pursued advanced degrees at DePaul University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Ohio State, Loyola University Chicago, Western Illinois University, Midwestern University and others.
Why Study Mathematics/Mathematics with Secondary Education at SXU?
- Small professor-to-student ratio with caring faculty.
- Modern technological focus in the discipline, including iPads, MyMathLab, WebAssign, Minitab, Geometer's Sketchpad, GeoGebra, Maple.
- Broad range of practically applicable mathematical topics.
- Broad range of elective courses.
- One-to-one mentorship in the capstone project. Each semester, seniors present their senior seminar research projects at a symposium attended by students, faculty, family and friends.
- Nationally accredited and recognized mathematics teacher preparation program.
- Opportunities to work in the mathematics tutoring program.
- The Archimedeans Math Club sponsors math game day, Pi Day, math movie night and career related events.
- Join the SXU math team in the annual ACCA calculus competition.
The best way to learn more about our programs is to come for a visit. Sit in on a class. Meet our faculty, current students and members of the Archimedeans Math Club. See our classrooms, computer labs and campus.
To arrange a visit, please contact:
Dr. Barbara Becker
Chair, Mathematics Department