- Birth to Three Program
- Meet Our Faculty
- Meet Our Staff
- Meet Our Adjunct/Clinical Faculty
- Teacher Education Council
- Contact Us
What is the edTPA Performance Assessment?
The edTPA is an evidence-based assessment of teacher effectiveness that has been approved by the State Board of Education in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board. The edTPA is meant to serve as a capstone assessment and compliments other assessment required by ISBE. The edTPA is built around three-to-five continuous days of standards-based, subject-specific classroom instruction delivered by a candidate, typically during the student teaching or clinical experience. edTPA is a multiples-measure assessment of teaching -- built and submitted by the candidate -- that addresses planning, instruction, assessment and analyzing teaching. It includes unedited video recordings of the candidate teaching and examples of teaching materials (plans, teaching tools, assignments) that demonstrate how the candidate planned instruction adapted it for diverse learners -- attending both to subject specific learning and the development of academic language -- and assessed student work.
Qualified and trained teachers and teacher educators who are subject matter experts with experience supporting beginning teachers score each assessment. Half of current scorers are recruited from higher education and half are recruited from P-12 educators, including National Board Certified Teachers.
- edTPA PowerPoint for Mentor Teachers (PPTX)
- Top 10 Resources for the edTPA (PDF)
- edTPA Guidance for P-12 Administrators and Leaders (PDF)
- Teachers who Support Teacher Candidates (PDF)
- Lisa Stooksberry speaks about edTPA - Senior Vice President for Standards and Assessment at the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
- The Role of Performance Assessment in Developing Teaching as a Profession - by Linda Darling-Hammond and Maria E. Hyler
- edTPA Myth Busters (PDF)
- edTPA Fact Sheet (PDF)
edTPA Plagiarism Policy
Please read the edTPA Plagiarism Policy (PDF) carefully.
edTPA Handbooks (2017-2018)
The following are the edTPA Handbooks that will guide the performance task. The handbooks will be referenced throughout your program. Please note that any candidate student teaching in Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 will be required to work from these updated documents.
- Early Childhood (PDF)
- Elementary Education Literacy (PDF)
- K-12 Performing Arts (PDF)
- Middle Childhood English/Language Arts (ELA) (PDF)
- Middle Childhood History/Social Studies (PDF)
- Middle Childhood Mathematics (PDF)
- Middle Childhood Science (PDF)
- Secondary English/Language Arts (ELA) (PDF)
- Secondary History/Social Studies (PDF)
- Secondary Mathematics (PDF)
- Secondary Science (PDF)
- Special Education (PDF)
- Visual Arts (PDF)
- World Languages (PDF)