Frequently Asked Questions

Administration Program

Who is eligible to receive the Principal Preparation Endorsement?

 In order to become eligible for the Principal Preparation Endorsement, individuals must have:

  • A master's degree
  • A minimum of two years cumulative teaching, four years by the time of program completion. Substitute teaching does not count toward the experience)
  • Completion of a portfolio and other criteria including an interview prior to admission
  • Passing all the coursework leading to the endorsement
  • Passing the state tests  

What if I already have a master's degree?

 There are no electives in this program. The complete coursework is required for the degree and the Principal Preparation Endorsement.

Where do I do the internships?

The internships are conducted at the school where you are employed, under the supervision of a school administrator and a university supervisor.

What if I leave my cohort and later decide to rejoin?

If you leave your cohort due to unforeseeable circumstances and inform your advisor, you may rejoin your cohort or join another cohort when the sequence of courses allow for you to join. You might have to pay a new rate of tuition if you have to join a different group.

How do I apply for the endorsement?

Once you complete the required coursework and have passed all the state test(s), you must attend a certification workshop and submit all the required material to Michelle Keller at keller@sxu.edu or 773-298-3491, who will forward the application form to you. Complete the forms online and return them in order to be referred for entitlement (endorsement).

How many state tests are required for the Principal Preparation Endorsement?

If you already have taken the Illinois basic skills test (#96 or #300) and if you have never taken the Illinois basic skills, you are required to meet the state requirement by taking the ACT (score of 22 and the writing part must be included) or STA or Test of Academic Proficiency, TAP), and the test for Principal Preparation Endorsement.

Do I have to write a thesis?

A thesis not required for this program.

What is the cost of each course?

For information about the cost of this program, please contact Office of the Bursar at bursar@sxu.edu or 773-298-3046.

How do I sign up for the state tests?

You can apply on line at www.icts.nesinc.com.