Multi categorical Special Education FAQs

Who is eligible to apply to the program?

 Any individual with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. 

What if I am a certified teacher?

 If you are a certified teacher you might not have to take all the program requirements (you will be notified upon admission to the School of Education). You also will complete a practicum instead of student teaching if you have taught in the area of your first certificate.

What is a cohort?

A cohort group is a group of graduate students who take a sequence of courses leading to a degree together.

Where do I do my practicum or student teaching?

At a school or site designated by the School of Education. 

Where do I do my field experiences?

At a site designated by the School of Education. If you work at a school, you might use your school for a portion of your field experiences. 

What if I leave my cohort and later decide to rejoin?

If you leave your cohort due to unforeseeable circumstances and inform your advisor, you may be readmitted to another cohort or  when the sequence of courses allow. You might have to pay a new rate of tuition if you have to join a different group. Also you must comply with the rules governing the new cohort that you join.

How do I apply for the Type 10 certificate or licensure?

Once you complete the required coursework and have passed all the state test(s), you must attend a certification workshop and contact the Office of Teacher Education and Certification at kehoe@sxu.edu  or 773-298-3971, who will forward the application form to you. Complete the forms online and return them in order to be referred for entitlement (certification). 

How many state tests are required for receiving the LBS I certificate?


  • One of the following tests: Illinois Test of Basic Skills (#300) or (#96) taken within the last 10 years from admission; OR Test of Academic Proficiency for full admission to the program; OR ACT plus writing with a score of 22 or more, taken within 10 years from admission; OR SAT (mathematics and critical reading) with a minimum score of 1030, taken within 10 years from admission.
  • General curriculum for special education (#163), which must be taken and passed prior to taking the methods course.
  • Content area test, LBS I (#155), which must be taken and passed prior to student teaching or practicum
  • APT test for K-12 (# 104), which must be taken and passed during or before student teaching or practicum  

How do I sign up for the state tests?

You can apply online at www.icts.nesinc.com.