Nominate WGN's Teacher of the Month
Education with Purpose
WGN has teamed up with Saint Xavier University to host the Teacher of the Month!
If you are currently a student age 13 or older in the Chicagoland area, please visit the Contest Page on WGN's website to nominate a teacher whom you feel makes a difference at your school or in your community.
1. Who can be nominated?
Any teacher who is currently employed by a school (kindergarten, elementary, junior high, high school, vocational, special education) in the Chicagoland viewing area or NW Indiana. College, graduate and student teachers are not eligible. A nominee may be voted "Featured Teacher of the Month" only once during the Contest Period.
2. Who can do the nominating?
To nominate a teacher, you must be age 13 or older, be a resident of Illinois or Northwest Indiana, have access to the Internet, and be a student currently enrolled in a school in the Chicagoland viewing area or northwest Indiana. If you are under the age of 13 and want to nominate a teacher, your parent or legal guardian must fill out the form on your behalf. You may nominate as many teachers as you'd like, but you can only nominate the same teacher once. All information submitted in nomination forms will be subject to verification. Sponsors reserve the right to reject and disqualify any entry they discover to be false or fraudulent.
3. How to nominate a teacher?
- Nominations for the "Teacher of the Month" will begin August 2017 and end June 2018 ("Nominations Period"). All nominations must be submitted within the Nominations Period.
- You can nominate a teacher by visiting the "Teacher of the Month" contest page and fill out the nomination form completely. You must use your own name. Incomplete or false entries may be disqualified. All entries become the property of WGN-TV and Saint Xavier University and will not be returned.
4. How will the Teacher of the Month be selected?
- Sponsors will review all eligible nomination forms on or about the 15th of the month
and choose the Teacher of the Month based on the following criteria:
- educational achievements in the classroom (40%)
- community contributions/extracurriculars (30%)
- innovativeness of the program/techniques used by the teacher (30%)
- Note: If more than one student nominates the same teacher, WGN-TV and Saint Xavier University will choose the student nomination that they believe shows the most human interest appeal. The student who nominates the teacher does not receive recognition or a prize. The decision of sponsors is final and binding.
- One teacher will be selected each month from September 2017 through June 2018 with a total of 10 Teachers of the Month chosen.
- The school's principal will be contacted to verify the eligibility and the qualifications of the teacher. The principal must agree to let WGN-TV tape in the school during the teacher's ceremony.
- Each Teacher of the Month will receive a Certificate of Recognition, and the school, which employs the teacher, will receive a $1,000 donation check from Saint Xavier University, to purchase school supplies. The donation to the winner's school will be delivered to the winner's school at a time to be determined between the winner's school and Saint Xavier University. Sponsors are not responsible for the safe arrival of a certificate or school supplies.
- Each Teacher of the Month will be notified via telephone or email. The Teacher of the Month also will be featured on WGN-TV News.
For a complete and detailed list of rules, please visit WGN's Official Rules web page.