Academic Services and Workshops
The Learning Center offers:
- academic counseling and monitoring for students on an individual basis and, when appropriate, making referrals to related University departments
- group sessions for students experiencing similar academic concerns
- educational workshops designed to facilitate the mastery of study strategies and learning skills and to improve overall academic performance
- assistance and support for the supplemental programs offered by varying departments
The Learning Center is best known for providing quality tutoring sessions for all undergraduate SXU students! Students of all majors can sign up for half-hour- or hour-long sessions with peer tutors from a variety of disciplines, including but not limited to: biology, business, computer science, English, mathematics, philosophy, psychology, Spanish. Regardless of the class type, writing tutors are always available to assist students in improving their academic papers -- whether they be case studies, literary analyses, research essays or even resumes, cover letters and personal statements! Career Services also specialized in professional documents in addition to many other career-specific resources.
Please visit Tutoring Sessions for more information.
Student Affairs, in conjunction with the Learning Center, offers on-demand academic skills workshops, typically an hour in length. Students, faculty or staff may request a presentation on almost any topic, which may be tailored for an entire class or a small group (four or more individuals). Various time frames are available. Additional topics and special workshops are also available in consultation with the staff.
Sample workshop topics include:
- Improving College Study Skills
- Taking Great Notes
- Managing Your Time
- Learning Styles
- Reading Textbooks Strategicly
- Understanding APA/MLA Style
- Understanding & Managing Stress
- Building Your Public Speaking Skills
- Saving Your Semester!
- Test Taking Tips
The workshops are offered by staff in the Office of Student Affairs. Call 773-298-3123 for information or to request an on-demand workshop for your group.