The Carol A. Keene Scholarship in Philosophy
Established in 2006 by Dr. Carol A. Keene ’61, this scholarship is awarded to a student enrolled in Saint Xavier Universitywith a declared major in philosophy. Students will be eligible to apply in the spring semester of their sophomore year, and the scholarship will be awarded by the Keene Scholarship Committee.
In order to be considered for the Keene Philosophy Scholarship, applicants should submit:
- A cover letter (not to exceed one-page)
- A proposal for research during junior and senior year. The proposal should describe a course of study (courses to be completed) and a general description of a proposed senior thesis
- Two samples of written work accomplished in a previous philosophy course
The Keene Scholarship Committee will assess the senior thesis research proposal and the samples of written work and will conduct interviews with candidates for the scholarship.
The committee will assess the application with regard to the value and the viability of the proposal. Positive consideration will be given to student proposals that include an application for study abroad during junior year.
The scholarship award will normally cover two years; however, the second year award is contingent upon successful progress toward the degree as defined by:
- Continual full-time enrollment at SXU as a philosophy major
- Superior academic performance in both philosophy and other courses
- General conduct consistent with the highest standards of academic and personal integrity
Students interested in applying for the Carol A. Keene Scholarship in Philosophy should contact Professor Arthur Morton, at email@example.com.