School of Nursing Scholarships
Opportunities for Undergraduate Students
The Student Nurses Association will award a scholarship for the academic year. A student must be a full-time undergraduate student at Saint Xavier University's School of Nursing. They must be a member in good standing and actively engaged in SNA activities. The student must be at least Junior I status, have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and demonstrate involvement in non-academic activities.
A scholarship for nursing students. This scholarship was established through the generosity of Mr. James Martin. Criteria include involvement in university and/or community service. Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
The student must be a junior or senior student in nursing and must maintain an overall grade point average of 3.0. The student must submit an essay describing the student's interest in technology and its interface with patient care. The student must also agree to an observational experience under the direction of the donor or her named successor, as well as submit a letter of recommendation.
Established to honor Virginia Landman, '73. Two scholarships are available: one will be awarded to a nursing student who has achieved junior status and the other will be awarded to an incoming freshman. Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and submit an essay demonstrating financial need.
It is the intent of Mr. Brendan Lee that this gift, and other donations to the Therese McConnell Lee Scholarship, be used to support scholarships assisting a Saint Xavier University student in the School of Nursing based on the following criteria:
- The student must be a declared nursing major, must maintain a minimum 3.0 overall GPA, and must demonstrate financial need.
- The student must also submit an application for the Scholarship, as well as a short essay (250 words or less) describing the student's interest in the nursing profession that will be reviewed by a scholarship committee consisting of the above donor and other family members.
- The student must also present a letter of recommendation.
The Hearst Foundation Scholarship
This scholarship will be awarded to an African American or Hispanic nursing student holding a GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. The student must also demonstrate financial need.
This award is granted to a junior or senior nursing student in good academic standing who demonstrates qualities of care and compassion consistent with the Mercy mission. Applicants must be a full-time junior or senior enrolled in the School of Nursing with a minimum GPA of 2.7 or higher. Applicants must also be currently working in a Catholic or community hospital in the Chicago metropolitan area. This award was made possible through the generosity of Mary Clare, '65, and Gerald Loftus.
Be a full-time undergraduate student (at least sophomore II level) in good academic standing in the School of Nursing. Must have a minimum GPA of 2.5, demonstrate financial need, and submit an essay addressing commitment to the nursing profession. Must submit a School of Nursing faculty recommendation that addresses the student's commitment and integrity.
Established by the Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society (Alpha Omicron Chapter) in honor of Dr. Mary Lebold, '60, the long-time dean of the School of Nursing at Saint Xavier University. This annual award will be given to students enrolled as nursing majors, who are in good academic standing and eligible for membership in Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Omicron Chapter. The applicants will also demonstrate financial need and display a commitment to the community and/or caring and compassionate nursing care in the clinical setting.
Friends of Uncle Mike is a charitable, non-profit organization formed in memory of Mike Lynch. It's founding was initiated to emulate his example and lifestyle in spending and communicating the with the youth of today. At his passing, it was determined that his dream of assisting young people to come to fruition. Students applying for the scholarship, worth up to $5,000, must be at a junior or senior level, and maintain a GPA of 3.0.
Applicants must submit an essay (one-to-two pages, double spaced) and two letters of recommendation. Essay topic: Why have you chosen nursing as a major and how do you plan to help your fellow human beings with your education? How will your career choice reflect Uncle Mike's values of respect, compassion, service, and learning for life?
Additionally, candidates may be required to interview with the Friends of Uncle Mike, Inc. scholarship committee.
An annual award to a second semester sophomore, junior or first semester senior nursing student, active in the Student Nurses Association, plans to be a full-time student for the next academic year and has a GPA of 2.5 or higher. The candidate must also demonstrate involvement in extracurricular activities.
This award is given to a second semester sophomore, junior or first semester senior nursing student who is in good academic standing and displays caring and compassionate nursing care in the clinical setting. This scholarship was established through the generosity of Ms. Mary Jo Hertel, '57, in memory of her sister.
Mary Kay Millea Schmidt '44 Scholarship
This scholarship was established through the generosity of Mr. Charlie Schmidt, widower of Mary Kay Millea Schmidt '44. The criteria for the scholarship include an interest in gerontology and/or homecare. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75, be in good academic standing within the School of Nursing, and must be at least a Junior I in the nursing program. Applications must include an essay addresing the student's interest in gerontology or homecare and a letter of support from community service representative or a university representative.
SON Alumni and Friends Scholarship
This scholarship is for nursing students. The SON Alumni and Friends Scholarship was established by the Alumni and Friends of the School of Nursing in honor of the School's 75th Anniversary.
- 2013-2014 Scholarship applications with criteria have been posted on the Undergraduate Community BlackBoard site under the Scholarship tab.
- Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are due March 8, 2013.
- Please submit completed applications and supporting documentation to Brian Mueller.
Additional Information and Outside Scholarships
- Provident Hospital Nurses Alumni Association Margarite Gilliem Scholarship
- Nursing VA Learning Opportunities Residency (Valor)
- Northwest Chicago Area Chapter American Association of Critical-Care Nurses
- Chi Eta Phi Sorority Inc., Alpha Eta Chapter Inc., awards $50,000 annually in scholarships at the national, regional and local levels to minority nursing students.
- The National Student Nurses' Association offers a scholarship program.
- Illinois Nurses Association Sonne Scholarship Application
- The Nurse Education Loan Repayment Program is administered by The Division of Nursing at HRSA and is available to registered nurses serving at a health facility in an under-served area to receive loan repayments.
- MinorityNurse.com maintains a listing of scholarship and fellowship money for undergraduate or graduate nursing students.
- The National Black Nurses Association (NBNA) offers a Student Nurse of the Year award to an NBNA member in pursuit of a bachelor's or other advanced nursing degree.
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN) awards $2,000 annually to students earning a master's degree in maternal-child nursing program and $1,00 0 to student members enrolled in any level nursing program, including baccalaureate.
- Hispanic Students Scholarships
- Discover Nursing is published by Johnson and Johnson Health Care Systems, Inc., and has an extensive nursing scholarship search feature.
Most of these scholarships require a minimum 3.0 grade-point average.
Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid when applying for any of these scholarships.
For additional resources regarding scholarship and financial aid opportunities for nursing students, visit the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Web site.