Transfer into Nursing
Traditional BSN Program:
The fall semester deadline is February 15.
The spring semester deadline is October 1.
Students must complete the entire application process by the deadline before being considered for admission. All applications received after the deadline date will be automatically moved forward to the next semester's deadline.In order to complete an application, all students must complete the following transfer admission requirements:
- Complete an online application.
- Submit an in-depth essay that discusses why you want to become a nurse and why you are interested in pursuing your nursing degree at Saint Xavier. The essay is an integral part of your nursing application.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have previously attended and/or are currently attending. A 2.75/4.0 cumulative GPA is required from all college coursework to be considered for admission. (Recommended: Completing both a college level biology and chemistry class.)
- TEAS-V (Test of Essential Academic Skills) scores. Only two TEAS-V test attempts are allowed. Students must score "proficient" or higher in order to be considered for admission. Only the TEAS-V will be accepted, any student who has taken a previous version must take the TEAS-V exam. For more information, students should review the following information:
Upon admission into the nursing program, transfer students will be given a semester start date indicating when they are eligible to begin nursing clinical courses. Transfer students may be asked to complete a minimum of 12 credit hours at Saint Xavier with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher before starting nursing courses.
Accelerated BSN Program:Rolling admission for May 2014 cohort start.
The Accelerated-BSN (A-BSN) option allows the student with an earned baccalaureate degree to move through the baccalaureate pre-licensure program within a reduced time frame. Students in the A-BSN option begin coursework each May and complete the BSN program in 15 months. Courses are offered only full-time with no breaks between sessions.
In order to complete an application, all students must complete the following admission requirements:
- Complete an online application.
- Submit official transcripts from any college/university you attended with a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 with an earned baccalaureate degree.
- Submit two professional letters of recommendation.
- Submit a current resume or brief curriculum vitae.
- Submit personal statement/essay. This should be 300-500 words describing reasons for career change and choosing nursing as a major. Explain any attributes or characteristics that demonstrate you are a good candidate for an A-BSN program and your career goals as a nurse.
- Complete an interview with School of Nursing.
Before begining clinical courses, all students must provide the following: current health history, physical examination, complete immunization record, required laboratory reports, 12 panel drug screen, CPR certification, proof of health insurance and an Illinois State Police criminal background check.
Students who are interested in finding out more information, or have additional questions, are encouraged to sign up for a Nursing Information Session. You may also request more information to be sent to you through regular mail or review the following links:
- Transfer into Nursing General Information (PDF)
- Traditional BSN - Guide to Suggested Program of Study (PDF)
- Accelerated BSN - Guide to Suggested Program of Study (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- School of Nursing Department home page
- School of Nursing - Course Catalog Information
- Undergraduate Nursing Information