SXU's 2012 spring concert schedule
Chicago (April 9, 2012) Saint Xavier University's Department of Music will host a series of concerts during the spring 2012 semester. General admission is $6, and admission is $5 for senior citizens and visiting students. The concerts are free for all SXU faculty, staff, and students with a current ID. All concerts will be held at the Chicago campus, 3700 W. 103rd St. For more information, contact Annette Adamus in the Department of Music at (773) 298-3421 or email@example.com.
• Flute Choir presents "Springtime Jubilation," 7:30 p.m., Fri., April 13, McDonough Chapel – The Flute Choir will perform old-time favorites and new works with a springtime theme.
• University Chorale and University Orchestra present "In Celebration of Life and Love," 7:30 p.m., Sat., April 14, Rehearsal/Performance Space - The University Chorale and University Orchestra will present Handel's "Zadock the Priest," along with music by Dan Forest and Eric Whitacre's "Five Hebrew Love Songs."
• SXU Guitar Ensemble and Jazz Combo Spring Concert, 3 p.m., Sun., April 15, McGuire Hall - The SXU Guitar ensemble will perform works by Dionsio Aguado, Thomas Campian, Muzio Clementi, George Frideric Handel, and others. The SXU Jazz Combo will perform music by Miles Davis, Benny Golson, Horace Silver, and Sam Jones.
• SXU Jazz Ensemble Spring Concert, 7:30 p.m., Fri., April 20, McGuire Hall – The SXU Jazz Ensemble will perform music by Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, W.C. Handy, Thelonious Monk, Oliver Nelson, Jimmy Van Heusen, and Kurt Weill.
• University Orchestra presents “Finale: Beethoven’s First," 7:30 p.m., Wed., April 25, Rehearsal/Performance Space - The University Orchestra will end its 2012 season with the composer who concluded the classical period and propelled symphonic music to new heights, Ludwig van Beethoven.
• Wind Ensemble and special guests the Kelly High School Band present "Cartoon! Classical Pops," 7:30 p.m., Thurs., April 26, Rehearsal/Performance Space - The SXU Wind Ensemble will end its season by showcasing the lighter side of band music, ranging from a quirky Strauss polka, jewels from the great American musical composer Leonard Bernstein, and Paul Hart's "Cartoon."
• SXU Opera Workshop presents Mozart's "The Magic Flute", 7:30 p.m. on Fri., April 27 and Sat., April 28, McGuire Hall - This well-known opera was first produced in Vienna as a spectacular fairy tale. It will be performed in English with spoken dialogue, allowing for a wonderfully burlesque comedy with a bit of conflict between good and evil. All performances will run approximately two hours and fifteen minutes with one intermission. General admission tickets are $8, and $5 for visiting students and senior citizens with ID. There is ample free parking on campus. In addition to the public performances, there will be a special performance for senior citizens and students at 3 p.m. on Thurs., April 26 for a reduced price of $3. Teachers interested in bringing a group of students should contact the Music Department at (773) 298-3421.
Click here to like SXU Media Relations on Facebook!
Karla Thomas, Executive Director of Media Relations
(773) 298-3937 or firstname.lastname@example.org