Student Commencement Speaker
SXU invites students to apply to be commencement speaker.
With graduation approaching, Saint Xavier University invites graduate and undergraduate students to apply to be the student commencement speaker.
Graduating students interested in delivering the student commencement speech must meet these guidelines:
- Must be graduating in December 2013 and planning on attending the ceremony
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Good disciplinary standing
- Record of academic achievement, service and campus involvement
- One undergraduate student and one graduate student will be selected
The speech should reflect how personal experiences at Saint Xavier (such as course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on the Core Values, etc.) have influenced the speaker's personal journey. It will appeal to a broad audience of graduates and guests and should be engaging. It will be three to five minutes in length, or approximately 750 to 850 words. A committee of faculty, staff and students will select the student speakers.
In order to apply, submit the following to email@example.com by Friday, October 11, 2013:
- Letter of interest that includes contact information (phone and SXU email)
- Draft of speech
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism
Note: Student speaker semifinalists will be required to present their speeches to the committee prior to the final selection. One speaker will be selected for the ceremony. The ceremony is on Saturday, December 14, 2013, starting at 10 a.m.
Questions about the student speaker selection process may be directed to the Office of Student Affairs, L-208, or firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-298-3123.