Faculty and Staff-Oriented Programs
UMH, in collaboration with faculty from various disciplines or with staff members from divisions across the University, offers several programs to further faculty or staff members’ engagement with the Catholic and Mercy dimensions of Saint Xavier University. Among these programs are:
- Mentoring for Mission, an opportunity for faculty or staff who are relatively new to SXU to reflect with more established peers about the distinctive nature of Saint Xavier University as a Catholic institution under Sister of Mercy sponsorship. (This program is offered in alternates years for faculty or for staff.)
- Mercy Scholars, a program in which senior faculty members read and discuss texts related to faith, spirituality, religious tradition, and academic discipline in order to design courses or course units within their discipline that will engage students in questions of self, purpose, God, meaning, and social responsibility.
- Mercy Book Club, an annual reading and discussion opportunity for faculty and faculty administrators to link selections related to different academic disciplines to the University’s Catholic faith tradition and Mercy heritage.
- ACCU and CMHE Engagements, opportunities for faculty members to attend and/or present at the national conferences of these, respectively, Catholic-centered and Mercy-focused organizations.
- First Friday Tea, a social occasion sponsored by UMN but hosted by a volunteer academic department or staff office, to build community through an experience of hospitality in the Mercy tradition of a “comfortable cup of tea.”