Jazz Rhythm Section Day
Sunday, September 22, 2019
2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
McGuire Hall (L-216)
Warde Academic Center
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd Street
Chicago, IL 60655
Calling all Pianists, Guitarists, Bassists, and Percussionists!
The SXU Music Department would like to invite you to our first Jazz Rhythm Section Day at Saint Xavier University.
The workshop is open to all high school students that play a rhythm section instrument.
The workshop will focus on various aspects of jazz performance including:
- Chord voicings, comping patterns, walking bass-lines
- Stylistic rhythmic feels for swing, Latin, funk
- Approaches to Improvisation -- IMEA required blues and "I Got Rhythm"
- Lessons with SXU's applied instructors
- IMEA audition material including "Out the Window" and Snidero etude
- Group performance tips for playing in large ensemble and combos
The day will conclude with a free concert featuring the SXU Jazz Faculty at 7:30 p.m. in McGuire Hall.
The fee for the event is $10, which includes dinner in the evening.
Registration has now closed. Questions regarding the workshop may be directed to Shawn Salmon, director of Jazz Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.