Area of Specialization
Special Education, Effective Instruction, English Learners
Margaret (Meg) Kelly Carroll, Ed.D., is a professor of education at Saint Xavier University, teaching courses in special education and instructional methods. Meg earned her Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction at Loyola University of Chicago with minors in special education, reading, higher education, and philosophy of education. With a master's degree in learning disabilities from Chicago State University and a bachelor's degree in elementary education and special education from University of Illinois in Urbana, she has published five books and more than 35 articles. A frequent conference (over 150) and staff development (over 1,000) presenter, Meg also acts as a consultant for several Chicago area public and private elementary, middle and high schools. She is president and newsletter editor for the Learning Disabilities Association of Illinois and is on the board of Our Lady of Tepeyac High School in Little Village.
Sample Teacher Presentations
- Common core standards in English language arts and math: What to expect;
- Diagnoses that influence behavior: What to do;
- Transition to college and study tips for students with disabilities;
- READY, Set, go! Test preparation;
- Curriculum planning for students with intellectual disabilities;
- Autism and families;
- Setting Language Goals AND Content Goals for Lessons;
- Adaptations and accommodations for students with disabilities.
- EDGSP 520: Characteristics of Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 522: Adaptations and Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 525: Methods of Teaching Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 526: Practicum: Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 530: Student Teaching: Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 531: Behavior Management
- EDGSP 532: Individualized Positive Behavior Support Plans
- EDGSP 459: Methods, Curriculum and Philosophy of Middle School
- EDGSP 413: Survey of Students with Exceptionalities
- EDU 314: Signing Exact English
- EDU 316: Advanced Signing Exact English
Carroll, M. K. (2017, Winter).Teaching tips from the president. LDA of Illinois Scope, 50(2), 4.
Carroll, M. K. (2017, Winter).Tackling ticklish problems with kids. LDA of Illinois Scope, 50(2), 5.
Carroll, M. K. (2017, Winter). Sleep, health and learning. LDA of Illinois Scope, 50(2), 7.
Carroll, M. K. (2016, October). 35 ways to engage with your preschooler. LDA Today, 3(5).
Carroll, M. K. (2016, March/April). Summer challenges and solutions for parents of children with learning disabilities. LDA Today, 3(2).
Carroll, M. K. (2011). Fun and games in higher education. Eastern Education Journal, 40(1), 23-32.
Carroll, M. K. (2014). Coping with the holiday season. LDA Today, 1(6)
Carroll, M. K. (2014). Starting school: Ages 3-8. LDA Today, 1(4)
Carroll, M. K. (2014, Winter). In the month of the heart, teaching children to care. LDA of Illinois Scope, 47(2), 7.
Bell, D. L., & Carroll, M. K. (2008). Storytelling in teacher education: Gaining insights and meeting standards through critical thinking. Illinois Schools Journal. 87(1), 59-74.
Carroll, M. K. (2007). Literacy failure case studies: What is holding them back? The International Journal of the Book, 4(3), 67-72.
- Volunteer Recognition Award, Learning Disabilities Association, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Appointment to Early Childhood Committee Chair, Learning Disabilities Association, 2016.
- Appointment to Early Childhood Committee, Learning Disabilities Association, 2013.
- Sam Kirk Educator of the Year Award, Learning Disabilities Association, 2012.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Illinois Teacher Education Division of Council for Exceptional Children, 2011
- ¡Creemos! (We Believe) Award, Our Lady of Tepeyac High School, 2009