Welcome to the Mathematics Department
- Career Night
Sponsored by the SXU Archimedeans Math Club
April 12, 2016
6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
SXU math alumni, math students, and faculty members get together for an in-depth discussion on career options in mathematics. Alumni currently working in the private sector and in the teaching profession will speak about their work experiences and share personal insights on finding a job. This is a great opportunity that you will not want to miss - we hope to see you there! Refreshments will be served.
Senior Seminar Presentations & Poster SessionApril 23, 2016
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Location: Fourth Floor Board Room
Come see our math majors and math/SED majors present their final research projects to the SXU Mathematics Department faculty. Family and friends are welcome to attend. All math majors are expected to attend. A light lunch buffet will be served following the presentations.
- Mathematics Department Colloquium
Dr. Jaclyn Murawska
Research in Mathematics Education and Place Value Understanding:
One Preservice Teacher’s Journey
March 23, 2016
3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- Math Club: Pi Day Celebration
March 14, 2016
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Free pie! Math Club Officers will be serving a variety of pies in honor of Pi Day. Learn fascinating facts about Pi and its history. Answer a fun math question correctly and receive a complimentary piece of pie.
About Our Department
The Mathematics Department at SXU strives to build a strong sense of community among faculty and undergraduate students in exploring the beauty and importance of mathematics.
Our faculty members are dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship. The broad range of faculty research interests in mathematics and mathematics education includes: abstract algebra, applied mathematics, solitary waves theory, developmental mathematics, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, history of mathematics, numerical analysis, probability and statistics, representation theory of finite dimensional algebras, mathematical knowledge for teaching, and processes by which mathematics teachers incorporate technology into their teaching.
Our mathematics majors qualify for careers in business, industry, government and teaching. Our graduates are employed as actuaries, statisticians and in other positions at firms such as Allstate, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Fidelity, Redbox, Spencer Stuart and with the U.S. federal government. Graduates are pursuing and have pursued advanced degrees at DePaul University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Ohio State, Loyola University Chicago, Western Illinois University, Midwestern University and others.
Why Study Mathematics or Mathematics with Secondary Education at SXU?
- Small classes with approachable and caring faculty.
- Broad range of advanced elective courses offered in applied and pure mathematics.
- Nationally accredited and recognized mathematics teacher preparation program.
- Faculty who are committed to a cutting-edge educational technology focus to enhance students' understanding of mathematical concepts and develop mathematical skills by using iPads, MyMathLab, MyStatLab, WebAssign, Minitab, StatCrunch, Graphing Calculators, Geometer's Sketchpad, GeoGebra, and Maple in the classroom.
- Learning that goes beyond the classroom. One-to-one mentorship in the Senior Seminar capstone project. Each semester, seniors present their research projects at a symposium attended by students, faculty, family and friends.
- Opportunity to work as a mathematics tutor in the Mathematics Lab.
- Opportunities for fun and learning with peers through the Archimedeans Math Club which sponsors math game day, Pi Day, math movie night and career related events.
- Join the SXU math team in the annual Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area (ACCA) calculus competition.
The best way to learn more about our programs is to come visit our department. Sit in on a class. Meet our faculty, current students and members of the Archimedeans Math Club. See our classrooms, computer labs and our beautiful campus.
To arrange a visit, please contact:
Dr. Ahmad Mojiri
Chair, Mathematics Department