Family Nurse Practitioner Program
Why become an FNP?
If you are interested in becoming an independent licensed advanced practice provider in a role that has medical and nursing functions, you should consider becoming a family nurse practitioner (FNP). An FNP is prepared to care for patients in primary care across the lifespan. Primary care is focused on wellness, screening, early identification, prevention and management of illness. Family nurse practitioners hold positions in specialty and primary care outpatient settings. According to an article in CNBC, employment prospects for FNPs are robust, with demand exceeding supply by 31 percent by 2026.
SXU's Family Nurse Practitioner program prepares professional nurses as advanced practice providers to deliver primary care services to individuals and families in a wide variety of settings. The program emphasizes health promotion, disease prevention, and management of common and complex health problems across the lifespan.
Practicum experiences occur during the final three semesters of the program. Students are required to complete 600 clinical hours at practice sites which include outpatient clinics and primary care practices or clinics.
Graduates are eligible to take the family nurse practitioner certification exam administered by ANCC or AANP.
- The curriculum of the FNP program embodies the Mercy heritage and mission of Saint Xavier University: to educate men and women to search for truth, to think critically, to communicate effectively and to serve wisely and compassionately in support of human dignity and the common good
- The MSN-FNP program has a history of more than 25 years of educating advanced practice nurses and is recognized as an NLN Center of Excellence, 2007-2023.
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and the master's degree program in nursing at Saint Xavier University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- The program can be completed in three years of full-time study.
- Small class sizes, taught by SXU full-time faculty, provide you with more personal attention.
- FNP faculty members integrate evidence-based practice throughout the curriculum and maintain active clinical practice.
- The FNP program director assists students to secure appropriate clinical experiences for the management courses during the last three semesters of the program.
- The pass rate on the national FNP certification exam for graduates of SXU's FNP program has consistently exceeded the national average.
- FNP students are eligible to apply for a variety of scholarships. Generous tuition discounts are offered to nurses employed by SXU clinical partner agencies.
- A post-master's certificate is available for students who already have a master's in nursing. Program of study is individualized.
Please review the admission requirements to learn how to enroll and begin the admission process.
Sample Program Plans
The sample FNP Program Plans are designed to give students a clear pathway to completion. Students should always consult with their academic advisor prior to course selection.
Want to know more about the School of Nursing's graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!