Reading Program FAQs

Who is eligible to apply to the program?

 Any individual with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education, teaching certificate and a minimum of two years of teaching.  

What if I already have a master's degree?

 If you have your master's degree from Saint Xavier, you may choose to take the coursework leading to certification as long as it adds up to 30 credits. If your master's degree is from another institution, you need the master's degree in reading for Type 10 reading specialist certificate.

What is a cohort?

At the School of Education a cohort group is a group of graduate students who take a sequence of courses leading to a degree together.

What if I leave my cohort and later decide to rejoin?

If you leave your cohort due to unforeseeable circumstances and inform your advisor, you may rejoin your cohort or join another cohort when the sequence of courses allow for you to join. You might have to pay a new rate of tuition if you have to join a different group.

How do I apply for the Type 10 certificate?

Once you complete the required coursework and have passed all the state test(s), you must attend a certification workshop and contact the Office of Teacher Education and Certification (kehoe@sxu.edu or 773-298-3971) who will forward the application form to you. Complete the forms online and return them in order to be referred for entitlement (certification). 

How many state tests are required for the Type 10 reading specialist certificate?

 You have to take the Type 10, reading specialist test (#176), the APT for K-12 (# 104), and the basic skills (#300), ACT (score of 22 and above), or TAP test if you have never taken this test in the past. All state tests are valid for 10 years.

Do I have to write a thesis?

There is no requirement for a thesis in this program. 

How do I sign up for the state tests?

You can apply online at www.icts.nesinc.com.