Graduate Early Childhood Education
Be a teacher
while earning your teacher license
brings something new
Work with children
at the start of their educational journey
Candidates of this program will obtain classroom experiences and one-to-one mentoring. Candidates in this program will have the guidance and support of a mentor teacher, a University coordinator and a site coach throughout the two years of required provisional teaching.
The Early Childhood Education program requires that applicants have one of the following:
- a degree in English/language arts, mathematics, one of the physical sciences, or one of the social sciences.
- the equivalent of a degree - 32 credit hours in English/language arts, mathematics, one of the physical sciences, or one of the social sciences.
- 32 credit hours in a combination of the 4 core content areas - English/language arts, mathematics, physical sciences, and social sciences.
- Earn master’s degree concurrent with teacher license: Birth to grade 2
- ISBE approved curriculum
- Ability to plan, deliver instruction, assess
- Individual support from SXU and your school in your 2 years of residency
Students will obtain:
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practice (DAP)
- Indoor and outdoor activity ideas matched to early learning standards
- Instructional strategies for literacy, numeracy, social sciences, science, the arts
Interested in the Alternative Licensure programs at Saint Xavier University? Attend one of our upcoming information sessions!
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!