Master of Science in Medical Sciences
Analyze Your Performance
With Real-Time Data
Your MCAT Scores
Increase Your Success in Medical Graduate Programs
In 2018, over 221,662 college graduates competed for 50,000 first-year allopathic medical school seats. Competition for osteopathic medical programs, dental schools and other health care professional schools is also steep.
Saint Xavier University's MSMS degree program is here to help you demonstrate to medical sciences programs that you have the academic ability to succeed and thrive in their rigorous curricula.
In under one year, our Master of Science in Medical Sciences (MSMS) degree will allow you to further develop and enhance your academic record to prepare you to apply, or reapply, to these programs.
Our transformational learning system includes everything you need to succeed:
- Guaranteed admission interviews for top 20% of class. Students who achieve a 3.3 GPA will be guaranteed admission interviews at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine for students applying to the medical, dental or pharmacy programs.
- A curriculum equivalent to the first year of medical school: Gain the knowledge to perform better on admissions tests (like the MCAT) and to succeed in your first year of professional school.
- Real clinical research and scenarios: Spend class time working through real clinical scenarios, allowing you and your peers to see firsthand how what you are learning is applied in actual health care delivery.
- Analyze your performance with your data: Gain access to performance analytics, which will provide you with customized knowledge-gap reporting. This tool will allow students to identify trouble areas and will provide real-time reporting on whether a student has mastered each topic and learning outcome.
- Mentoring and support: Receive supportive and individualized professional advising in an environment that encourages intellectual and personal growth.
- Proven success this curriculum is used in a MSMS program at Ponce Health Sciences University, where 75% of the first class received admission to medical school and 100% passed the USMLE Board exam on their first attempt.
While some students begin medical school immediately after graduating from college, the majority of students in health sciences programs take a year or more to further develop their academic, professional and personal qualifications before applying. There are many ways to invest in your individual development during these years. The Medical Sciences program includes professional and personal development support to foster your holistic growth at SXU.
Hear how the MSMS program is helping David reach his dreams:
Transition to Professional and Medical Schools
Upon graduating from this program, you will apply to professional schools with the confidence of knowledge, experience and higher admission exam scores.
Saint Xavier University aids you even more by guaranteeing a medical school entry interview with Ponce Health Sciences University, an M.D. program in Ponce, Puerto Rico, to the top 20% of the class.
Additional affiliation agreements with professional health care programs are being actively pursued to help our graduates have a smooth transition into their program of choice.
The SXU Difference
Once in medical graduate programs, SXU will have provided you a head start, so that during your first year, you are studying material you are familiar with. This familiarity can prove to be a real advantage when you find yourself facing the rigorous demands of your program.
Although most students enter our master's program in pursuit of professional school admission, some graduates find other health care career paths more suitable. If that happens after your first year of medical school, it will be a costly experience without obtaining any academic credentials. However, if that happens after completing a Master of Science in Medical Sciences degree, you will have a highly marketable master's degree with opportunities in viable health professions fields such as dentistry, nursing, podiatry, optometry, chiropractic, pharmacy, public health and the pharmaceutical industry.
The "Flipped Classroom": An Active and Personalized Educational Experience
Engage in a "flipped classroom" learning approach. You will watch lectures and read textbooks before class, preparing you to complete immersive cases, labs and collaborative group work during class.
Extensive testing and retesting content knowledge using USMLE-styled (United States Medical Licensing Examination®) questions builds on current educational psychology models for effective learning and prepares you for the type of questions on admission exams and future board and licensure exams.
More Effective Time in Lab and Lecture
Classroom experience in biochemistry, physiology, histology and anatomy is enhanced and enriched through small group learning and the use of technology such as active learning and virtual experiences. Faculty lead group discussions and administer in-class clinicals and cases via broadcast, with an on-site facilitator present for all class sessions to assist you and classmates. This pedagogy is proven to be an effective balance between technological innovation and personal interaction.
Know Where You Need to Focus Using Data Analytics
Our MSMS program tracks and predicts your academic success with stunning accuracy. As you delve into virtually all the material associated with the first year of medical school, you will answer thousands of questions, which will be tracked through our data system. The data collected from you and all your classmates through testing, combined with the data from all previous MSMS students, is then used to measure your comprehension, identify subjects where you need help and highlight areas where you excel.
The MS in Medical Sciences Curriculum
A "biochemistry boot camp" is available before the fall term begins, and a preparation program for admission exams is available as part of the individualized advising in the program. A full-time SXU faculty member directs this program and serves as a guide to both the intense study and the other aspects of preparing your best application for professional schools. A dedicated classroom space gives MSMS students a place to develop community with each other and to support each other as you travel this leg of your professional journey together.
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!