Master of Science in Nursing
Step Into Leadership Today
Step into your capacity for leadership and transform yourself into a trusted resource among your patients, your peers and your supervisors. The online Master of Science in Nursing programs from Saint Xavier University advance your management, education, clinical and business skills for an immediate impact in your workplace.
"I didn't have to choose between time with my family, work responsibilities, or school. I could really do [the coursework] at times that were convenient for me." -- Jordan Ferris, '18, MSN in Executive Leadership
If you have other questions or would like to learn more about one of the graduate nursing programs below, register for an online information session!
The online MSN offers five tracks for taking charge of the design and delivery of superior patient care:
- Clinical Leadership: Learn to become a clinical leader at the point of care with a focus on care coordination,
risk assessment, quality improvement, outcome evaluation, communication and leadership,
and the implementation of evidence-based practice.
Coursework prepares you for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) exam. SXU also offers this track as a stand-alone certificate for nurses who already have an MSN.
- Executive Leadership: (Nursing Administration): Develop the strategic perspective and critical thinking skills to lead the continuous improvement of processes and patient care in a nursing unit or department. Coursework prepares you for the Nurse Executive, Board Certification (NE-BC) and Nurse Executive, Advanced Certification exams (NEA-BC).
- Nurse Educator: Develop teaching techniques and learn how to adapt them to different settings--such as public health classes, hospitals, and schools of nursing. Coursework prepares you for the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) exam. (SXU also offers this track as a stand-alone certificate for nurses who already have an MSN.)
- Family Nurse Practitioner: Learn the skills to provide comprehensive, patient-centered primary care to individuals of all ages. Coursework prepares graduates to take the family nurse practitioner certification exam administered by ANCC or AANP.
- MSN/MBA Dual Degree: An MBA helps nurses achieve an understanding of core business principles and allows them to come up with comprehensive solutions to complex challenges in the healthcare field. Nurses who earn an MBA will be strongly considered for business and leadership roles in healthcare facilities such as nurse manager, nurse administrator, healthcare manager, Director of Nursing (DNO), or Chief Nursing Officer (CNO).
These nationally recognized, CCNE-accredited online MSN programs help you take charge of integrating the most up-to-date evidence-based practices with new technologies and effective communication strategies into patient care. You will emerge as a leader in your area of practice empowered to positively impact positive outcomes.
The learning outcomes of each track are applicable to a variety of settings, making Saint Xavier's online Master of Science in Nursing programs a flexible education experience you can call on throughout your career.
"Many of the professors were also working on further degree work themselves and actively
engaged in roles within nursing, research, and leadership. This enabled them to understand
the roles we all were juggling during degree work and gave them a more comprehensive
view of nursing's opportunities and challenges beyond the academic realm."
-- Danielle Piper, '19, MSN in Clinical Leadership
Select organizations are eligible for tuition assistance. Speak with a graduate admissions counselor for more information.
Top Ranked. High ROI. High Value.
Choose a highest-quality nursing education that is affordable, accessible and immediately applicable. Saint Xavier University as well as the School of Nursing and Health Sciences Division and its programs are consistently recognized for their educational quality.
- The master's and baccalaureate degree programs in nursing at Saint Xavier University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- U.S. News & World Report ranks the program a Top 5 Best Online Master's in Nursing (2020) for the past seven years.
- In 2018, the National League for Nursing (NLN) designated the School of Nursing and Health Sciences Division as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education for the fourth time. The School is one of only 40 schools in the U.S. to receive this distinction.
- Prepare for certification exams as you study.
"I wanted to attend a school with a strong mission to serve others and a school that kept the foundation of faith and social justice at the core of their academic programs. Saint Xavier was also highly ranked for online graduate nursing programs which helped confirm my decision to apply." - Marina Ocasio, '19, MSN in Clinical Leadership
Clinical Partner Discount
The 20-percent clinical partner tuition discount can be taken advantage of by students enrolled in SXU’s graduate program who are employed as a .5 or greater (40 hours per pay period) status in a clinical setting where our School of Nursing undergraduate nursing students are able to conduct clinicals on an ongoing, consistent basis. A consistent basis of which students are hosted by the clinical site is defined as 2 years or more.
Those students working in the same identified clinical setting with a work status of .4 or less, will be eligible for a 10-percent tuition discount.
Please note that the above discounts cannot be combined with any other discounts.
Alumni Loyalty Scholarship
Individuals who received their undergraduate degree from Saint Xavier University can now receive a scholarship upon admission to a graduate degree program at the university. Please speak with a graduate admissions counselor for more information.
Be a Recognized Leader Today
Learn more about your path to nursing leadership with the online MSN degree programs at SXU. For questions about the program or the application process please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-298-3053.
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!