Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Advising FAQs

Below are frequently asked questions (FAQs) about advising and registration.

General Advising Procedure Questions

If you are a current student, you may go to Self-Service on mySXU. Click on "My Profile" to view the name of your advisor, your academic program, along with your anticipated completion date. You may also come to the Center for SUCCESS, L-208, or call 773-298-3131 to find out the name of your advisor.

I am a transfer student or incoming first year and have just been admitted. When and how do I register?

When a transfer student receives an admit letter, it will usually instruct the student to contact the Office of Records and Registration. Please call 773-298-3501 for an appointment to see an advisor and to learn about your specific registration time. After selecting courses, the advisor will generally walk the student through the registration process.

Freshman and their parents entering in the fall will receive an invitation to a one-day orientation called Via, which is offered five time each summer. During this orientation, each student will register for his/her first semester courses.

The preferred method of registration is through Self-Service on mySXU. If an error message occurs, please contact the Office of Records and Registration or call 773-298-3501. In order to remedy this situation, they will need to know what the error message states. In-person registration is not available until following the week of online registration.

Students are encouraged to contact their advisor as needed. In most instances, you must have your own advisor submit electronic approval before you may register online (or, he/she must give you a signed form if you plan to register in person). You do not need advisor approval to register for summer term, except for education and nursing students.

In most cases, you do not need to get advisor approval to add or drop a class once you have initially registered. Athletes may need a coach's signature to drop (for eligibility purposes). If you are confident about the changes you would like to make, you do not need to see your advisor, but if you need assistance in determining such changes or to see if they are appropriate, a meeting with your advisor is recommended.

Current students usually register for spring classes in mid-October, summer term registration begins approximately the third week of October and fall registration begins early to mid-March.

Self-Service registration is an ongoing process. All students will be allowed to register based on the credit hours earned, not the number of credits you will have after the current term. In-season athletes, honors students and students with disabilities have priority registration. The following breakdown is used for determining status:

  • Seniors (90 credit hours+)
  • Juniors (60 credit hours+)
  • Sophomores (30 credit hours+)
  • Freshman

Shortly before registration week, you may view your registration time through Self-Service under the Registration category (Registration Priority Time Assignment).

Continuing and Adult Education offers the following majors: accounting, business administration, clinical/counseling psychology, computer studies, criminal justice, generic nursing, industrial/organizational psychology, liberal studies, LPN-BS nursing, nursing for registered nurses, psychology, religious studies, sociology, organizational development with two concentrations called generalist organizational development and leadership in public administration.

After first discussing your options with your advisor, you may request a declaration/change of major form in the Office of Records and Registration, A-203. Your advising file will be retrieved and transferred to the appropriate office, and you will be assigned a new advisor as necessary. You may also download the various student forms. You may access the name of your new advisor by viewing your Academic Profile via Self-Service on mySXU under "My Profile."

You may pick up a declaration of minor form in the Office of Records and Registration, A-203. You will need to have it signed by the department chair.

Students may take courses at other schools; however, an off-campus course approval form needs to be completed through the Office of Records and Registration, A-203. Be sure to have the form completed before the course begins. A typed, detailed explanation for the request must accompany the form.

You must also obtain the appropriate signatures from your advisor and the dean of the school in which the course resides. Please note that SXU allows a maximum of 70 credit hours from an accredited community college and 90 credit hours from an accredited baccalaureate institute. Once enrolled, SXU allows up to 12 transfer credit hours from an accredited institution.

An articulation agreement applies to transfer students who have completed an approved associate's degree program. This applies to those students who have completed an associates of arts or an associates of science degree from any Illinois community college (August 2000 to present).

Those students transferring in under the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) have an articulation agreement with SXU. Students with articulation need to take Philosophy 150 and one religious studies class at Saint Xavier to complete the general education core. The remainder of their coursework applies to their program of study (major courses, supportive courses, certification courses, etc.). Students under articulation still need 120 credit hours to graduate.

Please call or stop by the Center for SUCCESS, L-208, or call 773-298-3131 for additional information on articulation agreements,

SXU's Office of Records and Registration offers the CLEP exam periodically throughout the calendar year. Please see the upcoming test dates. Email to register for a CLEP exam. You will need to pay the $50 registration fee when you secure a date. Many students find it helpful to study from (Note: There is a fee for this site).