Questions About Learning Center/Writing Studio Services
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about services at the Learning Center/Writing Studio.
Tutoring services at the Learning Center/Writing Studio are absolutely free of charge for currently enrolled SXU students. The Learning Center/Writing Studio does not currently offer tutoring services to the public.
Up to an hour.
Both writing consultations and subject-specific tutoring sessions are scheduled in hour increments. Because sessions are tailored to each student, you are welcome to take up as much or as little of that time as you see fit.
Subject tutoring is by appointment only and all appointments must be made one day in advance.
There may be drop-in times available in the Writing Studio, but space is not guaranteed (especially around midterms and finals). We recommend all students make appointments, to ensure they have a reserved time.
- Head over to WCOnline.
- If you have never had an appointment in our office, you will be asked to create an account by clicking on "Click here to register."
- After you complete your profile, click "Register" on the bottom of the page to save your profile.
- After your profile has been saved, you will be able to log in to your account.
- Choose the "Tutoring" or "Writing Studio" schedule and follow the on-screen prompts to select a time that works for you.
- You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the front desk in L-110 and our front desk can help you register and make appointments!
Fill out a tutor request form! Though it's not guaranteed, we do our very best to fulfill each request that we receive.
Consider bringing anything that might be helpful to you and the tutor when working together. This may include your textbook, the syllabus, description of the assignment, past graded work, and any work you have completed for the assignment so far. If you are making a writing appointment and you have a working draft of a paper, it's helpful to bring two copies to your consultation.
Tutoring is for all students!
Anyone can use the services at the Learning Center. In fact, many of our regulars have strong grades and GPAs. Any student can benefit from working through their ideas with the help of someone else, no matter how proficient the student is at a particular subject. Even the best writers have reviewers and editors to help improve their writing!
That's up to you!
This depends on what you are working on and where you are in your process. Writing tutors spend a lot of their time working with students on evaluating the ideas as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the provided essay. Subject area tutors help clarify ideas for students and assist students as they work through the material. Each tutoring session is different, so come prepared with ideas about what you need to work on and how the tutor can help you.
Students can fill out a tutor request form if they are having problems signing up with a tutor due to scheduling conflicts. We will do our best to reach out to the tutor to see if they has any other available times.
Sign up for the waiting list.
If the writing studio schedule is completely booked, you may place yourself on the waiting list within WCOnline. Log into your WCOnline account and look for the date of which you would like your appointment. To the left of the date and day, there is a clock. Click on the clock and fill in the required form. Depending on your preferences, the system will either email or text you when your preferred time becomes available. However, please note that you will need to log into WCOnline to make the appointment if a time slot opens up. The program will not automatically add you to the appointment slot. It will simply email all students who have added themselves to the waitlist for that time and that slot will remain open until someone books it (first-come, first-served).
Possible tutoring suspension.
No-shows are problematic because they limit the tutoring opportunity for other students. In order to serve as many students as possible, the Learning Center keeps records of those who cancel at the last minute and/or do not keep their appointments. Repeated violations of the policy will result in suspension of tutoring privileges. Below is the Learning Center's cancellation/no-show policy:
- Students must cancel appointments at minimum 6 hours in advance.
- If a student does not call or show up to an appointment within the first 15 minutes of the scheduled time, they are marked as "missed" in WCOnline.
- Three no-shows/missed appointments = being dropped from future appointments and suspension from being able to sign up for services for the remainder of the semester.