Actuarial Science Learning Outcomes
Saint Xavier University is dedicated to providing top-quality education that is intentionally designed to develop your skills and expertise as you prepare for the next step in your education or career. The learning outcomes reflect the specific competencies that you will gain from our mathematics program, while the curriculum map portrays how these competencies will shape and prepare you for the real world.
Students of the actuarial science major at SXU will be able to:
- Solve a wide variety of mathematical problems related to the actuarial science field.
- Communicate results and arguments clearly, effectively and correctly, both in writing and orally.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the fundamental concepts of financial mathematics including the theory of interests and financial derivatives.
- Write programming languages such as Java or C++ and use mathematics software and technology.
- Work as a member of a problem-solving team to critically analyze and solve mathematical problems.
- Independently research a mathematical topic on actuarial science and write a mathematically accurate research paper, thereby displaying a depth of knowledge.
- Model real-world problems mathematically and interpret results appropriately.