Accounting Career OUTLOOK
A program that prepares individuals to practice the profession of accounting and to perform related business functions. Includes instruction in accounting principles and theory, financial accounting, managerial accounting, cost accounting, budget control, tax accounting, legal aspects of accounting, auditing, reporting procedures, statement analysis, planning and consulting, business information systems, accounting research methods, professional standards and ethics, and applications to specific for-profit, public, and non-profit organizations.
Explore the subsections below to learn more about the potential skills a student with an accounting major can develop as well as the potential positions, areas, and employers that hire students with this degree. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
As an Accounting major, students may develop or advance skills including critical thinking, mathematics and complex problem solving, adaptability, time management, interpersonal communication, integrity, self-motivation, collaboration.
Graduates with a degree in Accounting can work as Internal/External Auditors, Accountants, Budget Analysts, Tax Accountants, Financial Advisors, Forensic/Investigative Accountants and Corporate Accountants.
Graduates with a degree in Accounting can work within the following areas: assurance services, tax planning, budget planning, auditing, financial reporting, financial management, consulting
Graduates with a degree in Accounting can work for: Public Accounting Firms, Corporations, Banks, Government -- Federal, State, Local, Manufacturers, Retail, Technology Companies, Financial Services/Insurance, Nonprofits, Healthcare
Use the employment opportunity resources below to kickstart your preprofessional and or professional experience search. You may also identify a professional or student organization to join and network with individuals in your major and field. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
- CLA (CliftonLawsonAllen)
- CNA Insurance
- Friedman & Huey Associates, LLP
- JP Morgan Chase
- GE Corporate Financial Services
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Grant Thorton LLP
- Grosvenor Capital Management
- Internal Revenue Service
- McDonald's Corporation
- Metra Rail
- Miller Cooper & Co. LTD.
- U.S. Department of the Treasury
- U.S. Government Accountability Office
- Wolf & Co. LLP
- Accounting Majors
- Discover Accounting:Salaries by State
- The American Accounting Association
- National Society of Accountants
- The Association of Accountants and Financial Professionals in Business
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Government Accounting Standards Board
- National Association of Forensic Accountants
- The Institute of Internal Auditors
- Financial Accounting Standards Board
- National Associations of State Boards of Accountancy
- SXU Accounting Student Organization
- SXU Business Student Association
- SXU Women Entering Business Student Organization