Early Childhood Education Career Outlook
A program that prepares individuals to teach students from birth to grade 2. Early childhood education majors also earn either an ESL or bilingual education endorsement (for preK to grade 12) and an early childhood special education approval.
Explore the subsections below to learn more about the potential skills a student with an early childhood education major can develop as well as the potential positions, areas, and employers that hire students with this degree. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
As an early childhood education major, students may develop advanced skills including communication, patience, creativity, enthusiasm, confidence, dedication, organization, classroom management, time management, emotional soothing, parent communication, critical thinking, leadership, and teamwork.
Graduates with a degree in early childhood education can work as teachers, day care operators, day care teachers, infant toddler specialists, ESL teachers, early childhood special educators, day care directors, ABA therapists, early interventionists (developmental therapists), nannies, home day care operators, afterschool program directors.
Graduates with a degree in early childhood education can work in teaching, research, sales, administration, literacy development, parent education, early intervention, home-based behavior therapy, day care, fundraising/development.
Graduates with a degree in early childhood education can work for public, private, Montessori, magnet, or charter schools, professional associations, families, day care centers, respite care agencies, international schools, publishers, museums, zoos, religious organizations, correctional institutions, nonprofits, park districts.
Use the employment opportunity resources below to kickstart your preprofessional and or professional experience search. You may also identify a professional or student organization to join and network with individuals in your major and field. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
- AERO Special Education Cooperative
- Archdiocese of Chicago
- Chicago Autism Academy
- Chicago Children's Museum
- Chicago Commons
- Chicago HOPES for Kids
- Chicago Park District
- Chicago Public Schools
- Connections Learning Center
- DuPage County School Districts
- Easter Seals
- ECHO Special Education Cooperative
- Educational Endeavors
- Eisenhower Special Education Cooperative
- Elim Christian School
- Head Start
- Illinois Education Job Bank
- Illinois State Board of Education
- Joliet Diocese
- Kankakee Area Special Education Cooperative
- Kendall County Schools Districts
- LaGrange Area Department of Special Education
- Lake County School Districts
- Leyden Area Special Education Cooperative
- Lincoln-Way Area Special Education
- Lockport Area Special Education Cooperative
- McHenry County School Districts
- North DuPage Special Education Cooperative
- North Suburban Cook County School Districts
- North Suburban Special Education District
- Oak Lawn Park District
- Ounce of Prevention
- Rockford Diocese
- Saint Coletta's of Illinois
- Southwest Cook County Cooperative Association for Special Education
- Southern Will County Cooperative for Special Education
- SPEED Special Education Cooperative
- The Children's Museum in Oak Lawn
- U.S. Department of Education
- West Suburban Cook County School Districts
- Will County School Districts
- American Association for Employment in Education
- American Federation of Teachers
- Association for Childhood Education International
- Association of American Educators
- Colorín Colorado
- Council for Exceptional Children Division for Early Childhood Education
- Latinos for Education
- National Association for Bilingual Education
- National Association for Family Child Care
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Black Child Development Institute
- National Education Association
- National Head Start Association
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Unidos US
- Zero to Three
- Education Club at SXU
In addition to other employment opportunity websites, the Center for SUCCESS uses Handshake to share internships and jobs with students. Please explore the positions provided
in the automated feed below or click "View All" to explore positions in Handshake
using your major as a filter.
Although we attempt to screen all employers and positions, the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University assume no liability for the accuracy of information shared in this feed or through Handshake. The views and opinions shared by employers through Handshake do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University.
Please Note: This feed may include positions not directly related to your major, as employers have the option to assign all majors to posted roles. If you have any questions about a particular employer or position, please contact email@example.com.
Browse Available Opportunities
Employer: Aviagen, Inc. Expires: 11/30/2021 The Quality Assurance department has an opening for the role of ISO Auditor scheduled to work...
Employer: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. Expires: 11/30/2021 Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium-size...
Employer: ServiceNow Expires: 11/30/2021 We are looking for candidates to support our Marketing organization across these teams:Brand...
Employer: Zoetis Expires: 11/30/2021 Specialist Quality OperationsResponsibilities:Supports quality of raw materials, packaging materials,...
Employer: American Family Insurance - Enterprise Expires: 11/30/2021 At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization’s...
Employer: Techtronic Industries, NA (TTI) Expires: 12/01/2021 LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM – Techtronic Industries, NA (TTI) About Us:...
Employer: Centillionz Expires: 11/29/2021 Roles & Responsibilities of Java Developer:Should have strong knowledge in Core concepts of Java,...
Employer: City & County of San Francisco Expires: 11/30/2021 The San Francisco Department of the Environment is hiring for two positions:...
Employer: Flossmoor School District 161 Expires: 11/30/2021 Are you looking for an opportunity to work with early education students to...
Employer: Cranial Technologies, Inc. Expires: 12/01/2021 The Senior Systems Engineer position implements, supports, maintains, and manages...