Film and Media Studies Career Outlook
A program in the visual arts that focuses on the study of the history, development, theory, and criticism of the film/video arts, as well as the basic principles of film making and film production.
Explore the subsections below to learn more about the potential skills a student with a Film and Media Studies major can develop as well as the potential positions, areas, and employers that hire students with this degree. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
As a Film and Media Studies major, students may develop or advance skills including research and analysis, writing and public speaking, attention to detail, critical thinking, problem solving, strong intercultural understanding, time management, and overall professionalism.
Graduates with a degree in Film and Media Studies can work as public relations specialists, journalists, freelance writers, publishers, editors, advertising coordinators, creative writers, grant writers, technical writers, authors, educators, social media specialists, web content managers, artists, broadcasters, entertainers, researchers, account managers, fundraisers, lobbyists, production editors, scriptwriters, speechwriters, marketers, videographers, radio/podcasters, media sales associates, political activists, corporate communication professionals.
Graduates with a degree in Film and Media Studies can work within the following areas: business, sales, customer service, human resources, film studios, theatre, corporate communication, office management, public relations, advertising, media, broadcasting, newspapers, arts councils, research, grant writing, volunteer coordination, religious work, community affairs, conflict negotiation, social service, law, education, fundraising and development.
Graduates with a degree in Film and Media Studies can work for businesses, government agencies (local/state), labor unions, financial institutions, insurance companies, consulting firms, manufacturers, computer companies, retailers, hotels and restaurants, entertainment companies, real estate firms, hospitals and healthcare organizations, public relations firms, radio and television companies, theatres, independent production companies, sports and entertainment companies, publishers, libraries/museums, hospitality and tourism industries, nonprofits, professional associations, foundations, religious organizations, community centers, political parties, court systems, law firms, legal aid societies, consulting firms, colleges and schools.
Use the employment opportunity resources below to kickstart your preprofessional and or professional experience search. You may also identify a professional or student organization to join and network with individuals in your major and field. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
- 1871 Chicago
- 49 Marketing and Advertising Agencies in Chicago You Should Know
- 101.9FM WTMX, THE MIX
- ABC Chicago News
- BCD Travel
- Chicago Film Festival
- Chicago Metro History Education Center, Public Relations Interns
- Chicago Magazine
- Chicago Public Radio
- Choose Chicago
- CLTV: Chicagoland's Television
- Illinois News Broadcasters Association
- Illinois Press Association
- KISS FM Radio
- League of Chicago Theatres
- National Collegiate Scouting Association
- NBC Chicago/Telemundo
- NeWave Video Productions, INC.
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- TV and Broadcast Employment Services
- Weigel Broadcasting Co. (WCIU-TV)
- WGCI Radio
- WGN Radio
- WGN-TV Human Resources
- WSCR-AM, 670, The Score
- WTTW Chicago Internships
- American Advertising Federation
- American Business Women's Association
- Association for Talent Development
- American Society of Newspaper Editors
- American Sportscasters Association
- Association for Women in Communications
- Broadcast Education Association
- Health Sciences Communication Association
- International Association of Business Communicators
- International Communication Association
- Magazine Publishers of America
- National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians, Communications Workers of America
- National Association of Broadcasters
- National Communication Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- Radio Television and Digital News Association
- Society of Broadcast Engineers
- Opus Literary Arts Magazine at SXU
- WXAV 88.3 FM at SXU
- The Xavierite, the official student newspaper of SXU