Religious Studies Major
The need for rigorous understanding of religious worldviews, values, and institutions is arguably greater now than ever before. The 31-credit hour major in Religious Studies offers you the chance to explore the vital role religion plays, not only in history, but in shaping contemporary society. The curriculum offers you the choice of two different tracks of study to best meet your interests and goals:
- Theological Studies: Focusing on the rich heritage of the Catholic tradition, this academic track will provide you with the knowledge and skills appropriate for careers in theology and ministry.
- Religion, Politics and Civil Society: Emphasizing the role of diverse religious traditions in the formation of modern society, this track helps you build a foundation for activism, inter-faith and social justice leadership.
What skills will I gain as a Religious Studies major?
- Knowledge: Your courses will provide you with an understanding of the sources of religious tradition (both your own and others'), and how to think carefully about the needs of the present in terms of the wisdom of received tradition.
- Communication and Leadership: Interdisciplinary courses in communication and leadership will help you develop the skills of communicating your knowledge to others.
- Application: Internships will offer you the chance to apply your problem-solving skills and prepare you for a career after graduation.
- Research: In the upper-division coursework, you will learn how to seek out reliable information in response to your own questions about religious history, faith, doctrine and practice.
Why Study Religion at Saint Xavier?
- SXU Community: Since 1846, Saint Xavier has been guided by the charism of the Sisters of Mercy to work for social justice within the city of Chicago. Studying at Saint Xavier will allow you to work within this tradition, not only as part of the university's own ministry programs, but with a range of institutions in a major metropolitan area.
- Personalized experience: Small class sizes and opportunities for individualized research projects mean that you will be able to work closely with your faculty to discern and follow a path based on your interests.
- Academic success: Religious Studies graduates have gone on to professional and academic careers in social service, ministry, higher education and business.
In addition to other employment opportunity websites, the Center for SUCCESS uses Handshake to share internships and jobs with students. Please explore the positions provided
in the automated feed below or click "View All" to explore positions in Handshake
using your major as a filter.
Although we attempt to screen all employers and positions, the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University assume no liability for the accuracy of information shared in this feed or through Handshake. The views and opinions shared by employers through Handshake do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University.
Please Note: This feed may include positions not directly related to your major, as employers have the option to assign all majors to posted roles. If you have any questions about a particular employer or position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Browse Available Internships
Employer: CUNA Mutual Group Expires: 03/23/2021 Work Location: Remote Timeframe: Spring 2021 – August 2021 with the potential of continuing...
Nurse Extern Program, Saint Anthony Hospital, Chicago - Now accepting applications at Saint Anthony Hospital
Employer: Saint Anthony Hospital Expires: 04/16/2021 Nurse Extern Program at Saint Anthony Hospital!Program starts May 3, 2021 - July 3,...
Employer: Mauser Packaging Solutions Expires: 03/31/2021 Mauser Packaging Solutions is a global leader in solutions and services across the...
Employer: Molson Coors Beverage Company Expires: 03/19/2021 Role DescriptionThe Distribution Strategy Student Professional will work very...
Employer: After School Matters Expires: 03/26/2021 After School Matters provides Chicago high school teens with high quality, after-school...
Employer: Aon Expires: 03/20/2021 Interested in launching your career in Compensation Consulting? Rewards Solutions, a unit of Aon’s Human...
Employer: MedPro Disposal Expires: 03/19/2021 As a Marketing Intern, you'll be bringing a detailed and process driven mindset to execute...
Employer: Molson Coors Beverage Company Expires: 03/29/2021 Overview Molson Coors Beverage Company (MCBC) is executing an exciting...
Employer: AbbVie Expires: 03/03/2021 Department Description:The Collaborative and Visual Design Services Team provides a variety of...
Employer: AbbVie Expires: 03/15/2021 2021 Experiential Intern Job Description – Research InternCandidate will be responsible for performing...