Office of Records and Registration

advising faqs

Below are frequently asked questions (FAQs) about advising and registration.

General Advising Procedure Questions

How do I find out the name of my advisor?

If you are a current student, you may come to the Office of Records and Advising, A-203, or call 773-298-3501 to find out the name of your advisor. You may also go to Self-Service on mySXU. Click on My Profile to view the name of your advisor, your academic program along with your anticipated completion date.

Do I have to see my advisor every time I want to register?

Students are encouraged to contact their advisor as needed. In most instances, you must have your own advisor submit electronic approval before you may register online (or, he/she must give you a signed form if you plan to register in person). You do not need advisor approval to register for summer term, except for education and nursing students.

Do I need to see my advisor if I want to add or drop a class?

In most cases, you do not need to get advisor approval to add or drop a class once you have initially registered. Athletes may need a coach's signature to drop (for eligibility purposes). If you are confident about the changes you would like to make, you do not need to see your advisor, but if you need assistance in determining such changes or to see if they are appropriate, a meeting with your advisor is recommended.

I am a current student. When do I register for classes?

Current students usually register for spring classes in mid-October, summer term registration begins approximately the third week of October and fall registration begins early to mid-March.

Self-Service registration is an ongoing process. All students will be allowed to register based on the credit hours earned, not the number of credits you will have after the current term. In-season athletes, honors students and students with disabilities have priority registration. The following breakdown is used for determining status:

  • Seniors (90 credit hours+)
  • Juniors (60 credit hours+)
  • Sophomores (30 credit hours+)
  • Freshman

Shortly before registration week, you may view your registration time through Self-Service under the Registration category (Registration Priority Time Assignment).

I am a transfer student or incoming freshman and have just been admitted. When and how do I register?

Transfer students can usually begin registering the week following current student registration. When a transfer student receives an admit letter, it will usually instruct the student to contact Records and Advising. Please call 773-298-3501 for an appointment to see an advisor.

After selecting courses, the advisor will generally walk the student through the registration process. Freshman and their parents entering in the fall will receive an invitation to a two-day orientation called Via, which is offered four times each summer. During this orientation, each student will receive a partial schedule of courses for his/her first semester as long as the math placement exam has been taken.

Do I register for my classes in person?

The preferred method of registration is through Self-Service on mySXU. If an error message occurs, please contact the Office of Records and Advising or call 773-298-3501. In order to remedy this situation, they will need to know what the error message states. In-person registration is not available until following the week of online registration.

What programs are offered through Continuing and Adult Education?

Continuing and Adult Education offers the following majors: accounting, business administration, clinical/counseling psychology, computer studies, criminal justice, generic nursing, industrial/organizational psychology, liberal studies, LPN-BS nursing, nursing for registered nurses, psychology, religious studies, sociology, organizational development with two concentrations called generalist organizational development and leadership in public administration.

How should I prepare for an advising meeting?

You should go to an advising meeting with a printed copy of your program evaluation, which can be accessed in Self-Service on mySXU. Please have some idea of the courses you would like to take the following semester. Make a list of any questions you would like to ask about your program or other policies and procedures. You will usually get more out of an advising meeting if you come in prepared with a positive attitude.

How do I declare or change my major?

You may request a declaration/change of major form in the Office of Records and Advising. Your advising file will be retrieved and transferred to the appropriate office, and you will be assigned a new advisor as necessary. You may also download the various student forms. You may access the name of your new advisor by viewing your Academic Profile via Self-Service on mySXU under My Profile.

How do I declare a minor?

You may pick up a declaration of minor form in the Office of Records and Advising. You will need to have it signed by the department chair.

Can I change my advisor?

Please speak with the secretary or office manager of your current advisor's department to see if you can be assigned a different advisor.

May I take a course at another school? How do I arrange it?

Students may take courses at other schools, however an off-campus course approval form needs to be completed through the Office of Records and Advising. Be sure to have the form completed before the course begins. A typed, detailed explanation for the request must accompany the form.

You must also obtain the appropriate signatures from your advisor and the dean of the school in which the course resides. Please note that SXU allows a maximum of 70 credit hours from an accredited community college and 90 credit hours from an accredited baccalaureate institute. Once enrolled, SXU allows up to 12 transfer credit hours from an accredited institution.

Core Articulation Questions

If a course in my major can also fulfill a core course, can it double-count in both areas?

Such a course may be used to fulfill both the requirement in the core as well as the major; however, you will not receive double credit for the course. For example, if you are a business major, you may use macro- and micro-economics to fulfill two social science requirements as well as the economics requirement in the major; but, you will still only receive 6 credit hours for the classes, not 12.

Do I need to take a foreign language or foreign culture class?

Students pursuing a bachelor of arts degree are required to complete two foreign language or foreign culture classes (FL/FC) as part of the core, unless you are in Continuing and Adult Education. One other exception is if you have the Illinois Articulation Agreement, which means that you have earned an associates of art or an associates of science degree from an Illinois Community College.

Students pursuing a bachelor of science degree take two additional math and/or science classes in place of the foreign language/culture courses.

Do I have to take SXU Seminar/Transitions or Transfer Student Orientation?

All students must complete either SXU Transitions or the Transfer Student Orientation as a graduation requirement. Students transferring in at least 45 credit hours or a course equivalent to SXU Transitions, are eligible to take the 2 1/2 hour non-credit Transfer Student Orientation (ACSU 101). New freshman or students transferring in fewer than 45 credit hours take the 1 credit hour SXU Seminar/Transitions course (ACSU 100 or FOSEM 100). This course is only offered in the fall term.

What is an articulation agreement and how do I know if I have one?

An articulation agreement applies to transfer students who have completed an approved associate's degree program. This applies to those students who have completed an associates of art or an associates of science degree from any Illinois Community College (August 2000 to present).

Those students transferring in under the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) have an articulation agreement with SXU. Students with articulation need to take Philosophy 150 and one religious studies class at Saint Xavier to complete the general education core. The remainder of their coursework applies to their program of study (major courses, supportive courses, certification courses, etc.). Students under articulation still need 120 credit hours to graduate.

Please call or stop by Records and Advising or call 773-298-3501 for additional information on articulation agreements.



May I take a CLEP test anywhere that offers them?

Candidates may take a CLEP exam at any testing institution listed as an "open" test center. Before taking the exam, you will have the opportunity to select your score recipient (the school that will receive your score). You do not need to take a CLEP at SXU, but you need to indicate SXU as the score recipient in order to receive credit at SXU.

If you attend Saint Xavier, you are subject to its credit-granting policies; however, you must follow the registration procedures of the test center at which you plan to take the exam.

Nursing students are only allowed to take CLEP exams for their core requirements, not the supportive nursing classes. Education majors may not use the CLEP exam for their upper level area of concentration requirements. Secondary education majors may not take the CLEP exam for EDU 202: Educational Psychology.

How often does SXU offer CLEP test dates?

SXU's Records and Advising offers the CLEP exam periodically throughout the calendar year. Please see the upcoming test dates. Email to register for a CLEP exam. You will need to pay the $50 registration fee when you secure a date. Many students find in helpful to study from (Note: There is a fee for this site).

Can I take more than one CLEP test during a particular exam session?

You may not take more than one exam a day.


What are Excelsior Exams?

Excelsior examinations are published by Excelsior (formerly Regents) College. Excelsior examinations are available for selected courses. Students may repeat an Excelsior examination 60 days after the first failure and 120 days after each subsequent failure. Saint Xavier University is not a test site. Candidates generally make an individual appointment for an exam at an Excelsior testing location. This exam is only available to RN students.

Is Excelsior the same as Regents College Exams or ACT-PEP?

ACT-PEP exams were taken over by Regents College, and in January, 2001, Regents changed its name to Excelsior College. The appropriate name for the former ACT-PEP exams is Excelsior College Exams.


How does placement testing work for freshmen and transfer students?

The COMPASS® math and English placement exam are required of all incoming students, unless you have previously earned college-level credit. You may also be exempt from taking the placement test if you have transferred in the pre-requisite for the college-level math course. For example, if you have taken intermediate algebra, the placement exam is not needed. Please email to schedule your placement exam.

Do I need to follow the Math Department's placement recommendation?

The Math Department has outlined a series of remedial courses. You must take your math coursework in the sequence your math placement test indicates. The Department also recommends courses based on your major; if you have changed your major, you may need to consult with the Department for new recommendations by contacting

How do I arrange to take placement tests?

Placement tests are administered by a testing coordinator. You will need to email to register for placement tests.