SONHS MISSION STATEMENT
Through excellence in education, scholarship and community engagement, the School of Nursing and Health Sciences embodies the Mercy mission in preparing individuals to engage in high quality, compassionate, and professional practice within the health sciences.
Nursing Mission, Vision and Goals
Both the University and the Nursing program remain dedicated to promoting the values of the Sisters of Mercy, founded upon the ideals of education, service and compassion.
The Nursing program embraces the mission of the University that is dedicated to the pursuit of academic excellence in the context of Mercy values. Through innovative and creative educational models that foster scholarship, compassion and lifelong learning, we educate exemplary nurses for professional practice in the diverse, global community.
Within the Nursing program, we will create a learning community responsive to a changing and challenging 21st century health care environment. Building on faculty scholarship and clinical expertise and forming collegial relationships and strategic partnering, we will continue our tradition of preparing excellent nurses who will practice in a variety of professional roles.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The goals of the undergraduate program in nursing are to:
- Develop the liberally educated professional nurse who is prepared to practice in entry level positions in various settings;
- Provide a foundation for personal and professional development; and
- Provide a foundation for graduate study in nursing.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The goals of the graduate program in nursing are to:
- Prepare registered professional nurses to meet current and future health care needs of populations through advanced nursing practice and transformative leadership, grounded in Mercy values.
- Provide a foundation for research or practice-focused doctoral study in nursing.