Center for Interprofessional Health Care Simulation
Saint Xavier University's School of Nursing and Health Sciences (SONHS), a National League for Nursing Center of Excellence, utilizes the Nursing/Health Science Learning Resource Lab and Center for Interprofessional Health Care Simulation to create environments which promote interactive, immersive, experiential student learning and professional growth. The importance of safety, collaboration, problem solving, decision making and clinical reasoning are integrated into hands-on learning experiences. With more restrictions placed on learning opportunities available to students in clinical placements, simulation is an important learning experience used to ensure students are able to address critical learning outcomes.
Benefits of the Simulation Labs
- A learning environment which encourages active learning, repetitive practice, reelection and guided support.
- Safe learning setting without high stakes testing/evaluation
- Transfer of classroom content into simulated clinical learning experiences
- Experiential hands-on practice for acquisition of nursing psychomotor skills
- Open lab to practice skills independently or with faculty/workers with available supplies, equipment, low fidelity manikins and models.
- Interactive, Immersive and hands on learning during simulated scenarios.
- Environmental and patient safety integration
- Critical thinking and clinical judgment opportunities in acute care simulation scenarios
- Development of collaborative practice and teamwork
- Synthesis of patient data, problems and priorities in planning care before scenarios
- Integration of hand-off and SBAR with role play
- Reflection of learning through debriefing
Simulation Curriculum incorporates the Illinois Board of Nursing Guidelines for the Use of Simulation by Pre-licensure Nursing Programs (2015), the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Simulation Guidelines for Pre-licensure Nursing Programs (2015) and the INACSL Standards of Best Practice: SimulationSM (2016).
Our Interprofessional Simulation Labs consist of multiple High, Medium, and Low Fidelity manikins that offer many options to provide beneficial learning experiences to our students. Our simulation rooms are equipped to imitate real world experiences in a variety of settings.
Email the Interprofessional Simulation Lab at email@example.com