Sociology Career Outlook
A program that focuses on the systematic study of human social institutions and social relationships. Includes instruction in social theory, sociological research methods, social organization and structure, social stratification and hierarchies, dynamics of social change, family structures, social deviance and control, and applications to the study of specific social groups, social institutions, and social problems.
Explore the subsections below to learn more about the potential skills a student with a sociology major can develop as well as the potential postions, areas, and employers that hire students with this degree. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
As a sociology major, you will be developing occupations skills that include analytical, communication, conducting interviews, research, critical thinking, empathy, information gathering, planning, social perception, writing, conflict resolution/mediation and cross-cultural awareness.
Graduates with a degree in Sociology can work as Case Managers in Behavioral Health, Policy Analyst, Social and Community Service Manager, Public Relations Speciality, Probation and Parole, and Court Clerk.
Graduates with a degree in Sociology can work within the following areas: banking, administration, health care, management, marketing research, policing, public relations, probation, social work, research and human services. Other areas include law, community planning, social research and government agencies.
Graduates with a degree in Sociology can work for federal, state and local governments, nonprofit/social service, private foundations, correction facilities/detention centers, airports and transportation facilities, banks, law firms, and corporations.
Use the employment opportunity resources below to kickstart your preprofessional and or professional experience search. You may also identify a professional or student organization to join and network with indivdiuals in your major and field. Please note that these are not exhaustive lists and should be used as a starting point.
- Social Service Jobs
- The Federal Courts
- Feeding America
- Partnership for Public Service
- Aunt Martha's Youth Service Center
- Chicago Crime Commission Internship
- City of Chicago Internships
- Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Cook County State's Attorney's Internships
- Department of Children and Family Services Internship
- DuPage County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- DuPage County Sheriff's Department
- Elim Christian Services
- Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Illinois Attorney General's Office
- Illinois Department of Human Services
- Metropolitan Family Services
- Mercy Home for Boys and Girls
- Official Site of Illinois Courts
- Pillars Community Services
- Sertoma Centre
- Social Service
- Social Service Department Internship -- Circuit Cook of Cook County
- South Suburban Family Shelter
- State of Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County
- Will County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Will County Sheriff's Department
- Youth Guidance