Mathematics Visit Day
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
The Secrets of Mathematics
4 - 7:30 p.m.
Warde Academic Center -- Room S-115
3700 W. 103rd Street
Chicago, IL 60655
An Introduction to Elliptic Curves and Elliptic Curve Cryptography
In our high-tech, computerized world, keeping information safe and private is a concern for everyone. From our chip-and-pin debit card purchases to government cybersecurity task forces, cryptography is now a household term. Elliptic curves are popular for use in public-key cryptosystems where memory, processing and cost are concerned. In this talk, we will introduce elliptic curves and show how they can be used to protect our personal information.
Schedule of Activities
- 4 - 5 p.m. -- Campus Tour
- 5 - 5:30 p.m. -- "An Introduction to Elliptic Curves and Elliptic Curve Cryptography" with Dr. Nikki Pitcher
- 5:30 - 6 p.m. -- Food, Pi and Conversation with Faculty
- 6 - 7 p.m. -- Careers in Mathematics
An Indiana native, Dr. Nikki Pitcher holds a Bachelor of Science in mathematics from Indiana University and a Master of Science in mathematics from Loyola University Chicago. After moving to Chicago, she continued her education in mathematics by studying algebraic geometry, computer security, number theory and algorithm design. She earned a Ph.D. in mathematics at the University of Illinois at Chicago with a specialization in cryptology and computational number theory in 2009. Dr. Pitcher began her career at the National Security Agency utilizing her unique mix of skills in mathematics and computer science before returning to Chicago to pursue post-secondary teaching.
Come hear career information and personal experiences by:
- Mike Leland, Actuary at Correll Co. and Adjunct Faculty at SXU
- Chris Batty, Analyst at American Academy of Dermatology, SXU Alumni
- Matt Dornbos, Mathematical and Business Analyst at Scientific Games, SXU Alumni
- Randy Sherwood, Data Scientist at Salesforce, SXU Alumni
- Samantha Wozniak, Mathematics Teacher at Joliet West High School, SXU Alumni
Registration is now closed. For questions or more information, contact the Office of Admission at 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798) or email@example.com.