The CL track prepares students for leadership at the point of care in any health care setting. The Clinical Leader assumes responsibility for health care outcomes of a specific group of clients at the microsystem (i.e., unit-based) level, using research-based evidence to design, implement and evaluate plans of care. Major areas of focus within the specialty courses of the CL track include quality and safety improvement, care coordination during transitions of care, risk assessment, outcomes measurement and evaluation, and interprofessional communication and team leadership.
In addition to the 27 credit hours of core and supportive courses, students complete 11 credit hours in specialty courses that provide the foundation for implementation of CL role functions. The curriculum is based on the competencies of the CNL role, as outlined in "Competencies and Curricular Expectations for Clinical Nurse Leader Education and Practice" (AACN, 2013). Students complete 450 practicum hours in this specialty track. Upon completion of the CL track, the graduate will be eligible to sit for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification examination administered by the Commission on Nurse Certification (CNC).
Program of Study for the Clinical Leadership Track
I. Core Courses (18 credit hours)
- NURSG 504: Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
- NURSG 553: Culture, Communication and Conflict Resolution in Interprofessional Practice (3)
- NURSG 509: Nursing Inquiry (3)
- NURSG 517: Health Care Systems and Financing (3)
- NURSG 544: Epidemiology and Population-Based Health Care (3)
- NURSG 557: Information Technology and Health Care Outcomes Evaluation (3)
II. Supportive Courses (9 credit hours)
- NURSG 502: Advanced Health Assessment (3)
- NURSG 503: Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
- NURSG 512: Advanced Pharmacology (3)
III. Specialty Courses (11 credit hours)
- NURSG 523: Clinical Leader Role I (2)
- NURSG 524: Clinical Leader Role II (2)
- NURGP 524: Clinical Leader Role II Practicum (1)
- NURSG 612: Clinical Leader Immersion I (1)
- NURGP 612: Clinical Leader Immersion I Practicum (2)
- NURSG 614: Clinical Leader Immersion II (1)
- NURGP 614: Clinical Leader Immersion II Practicum (2)
The School of Nursing and Health Sciences reserves the right to amend policies and procedures, and other program information as necessary. All changes will be communicated promptly.