Clinical Leadership (CL) Track
The Clinical Leadership role develops and implements a plan of care for clients from research-based information and then evaluates health care outcomes. This individual assumes accountability for health care outcomes for a specific group of clients within a unit or setting. Utilizing research-based information, the CL designs, implements and evaluates client plans of care. This individual is eligible to sit for the CNL certification examination which is administered by AACN.
In addition to the 27 credit hours of core and supportive courses, students complete 11 credit hours in specialty courses that provide the foundation for implementation of CL role functions. Upon completion of the CL track, the graduate will be eligible to sit for the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) certification examination developed under the auspices of the Commission on Nurse Certification (CNC). The curriculum is based on the competencies of the CNL role, as outlined in "White Paper on the Role of the Clinical Nurse Leader" (AACN, 2007). Students complete 450 practicum hours in this specialty track.
Program of Study for the Clinical Leadership Track
I. Core Courses (18 credit hours)
- NURSG 504: Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
- NURSG 553: Collaboration, Culture, Conflict and Communication in Health Care (3)
- NURSG 509: Nursing Inquiry (3)
- NURSG 517: Health Care Systems and Financing (3)
- NURSG 544: Epidemiology and Population-Based Health Care (3)
- NURSG 557: Information Technology and Health Care Outcomes Evaluation (3)
II. Supportive Courses (9 credit hours)
- NURSG 502: Advanced Health Assessment (3)
- NURSG 503: Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
- NURSG 512: Advanced Pharmacology (3)
III. Specialty Courses (11 credit hours)
- NURSG 523: Clinical Nurse Leader Role I (2)
- NURSG 524: Clinical Nurse Leader Role II (3)
- NURSG 612: CNL Immersion I (3)
- NURSG 614: CNL Immersion II (3)
The School of Nursing reserves the right to amend policies and procedures, and other program information as necessary. All changes will be communicated promptly.