|Title:||Asst Professorial Lecturer|
|Office:||Warde Academic Center|
Hiea A. Mizyed is an assistant professorial lecturer in the Education Department at Saint Xavier University. Her most recent work centers on improving teachers' pedagogical practices in fostering problem-solving skills to support the United Arab Emirates' (UAE) aspiration to become a knowledge-based economy.
To that end, Mizyed focused her dissertation study on teacher efficacy, the social contexts in which these beliefs change, and an intervention grounded in the basic cognitive and learning sciences to improve teaching efficacy and teacher practice. This work builds on scholarly literature that indicates teacher efficacy influences student outcomes. She aims to offer students the knowledge and skills to interpret basic and applied research in the learning sciences and apply relevant findings to educational practices and policies.
Prior to joining SXU, Mizyed taught 21st century best practices in suburban districts (K-9) in Chicago and served as a co-teacher, English head of faculty, and member of the senior leadership team, where she provided teacher training, mentorship, and school strategic development for the UAE Ministry of Education.
Ed.D., Mind, Brain, and Teaching
Johns Hopkins University, School of Education
M.A.Ed., Curriculum and Instruction
Saint Xavier University
B.S. in Elementary Education
Saint Xavier University
Areas of Specialization
Mind, Brain, and Teaching
- Teachers' sense of efficacy and teacher practice.
- Teachers' perceptions of problem-solving skills development.
- Effects of professional development in the Brain-Targeted Teaching model on teachers' sense of efficacy.
- Teachers' knowledge and beliefs of key pedagogical constructs on their instructional choices.
- Development of Emirati teachers' pedagogical choices through knowledge of the basic cognitive and learning sciences, collaboration and reflection.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) member
- International Mind, Brain, and Education Society (IMBES) member
- Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education (KDP) member
- Top 10 Award Recipient, Action Research Poster Competition, UAE, 2020
- EDUL 222: PreK Field Experience (Fall 2021 - online)
- EDU 200: Introduction to the Profession of Teaching (Fall 2021)
- EDU 209: Literature for Children and Adolescents (Fall 2021)
- EDU 339: Managing the Elementary Classroom: Behavior Management and Instructional Planning (Fall 2021)
- EDGEL 418: Foundation and Methods of Literacy and Language Arts (Fall 2021 - online)
- EDU 200: Introduction to the Profession of Teaching (Summer 2021)
- EDU 209: Literature for Children and Adolescents (Summer 2021)
- EDU 339: Managing the Elementary Classroom: Behavior Management and Instructional Planning (Summer 2021)
- EDGEL 418: Foundation and Methods of Literacy and Language Arts (Summer 2021)
Mizyed, H. and Eccles, C. (2021). Fostering problem-solving skills development -- A key construct to developing a knowledge-based economy through the lens of the learning sciences and teacher efficacy. Manuscript in preparation.
Mizyed, H. (December 2020). Understanding Emirati teachers' self-efficacy beliefs fostering problem-solving skills development in the early years space. [Poster presentation]. International Higher Education Forum, Dubai, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2020, December). Maintaining Emotional Well-Being While Mastering Remote Education. Ministry of Education Council 6.1 Together We Grow Online Forum, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2020, September). Effective Leadership: It's Roles and Responsibilities, Ministry of Education Teacher Professional Development Online Workshop, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2020, February). Parents as Essential Stakeholders, Ministry of Education Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2019, November). Research on Understanding Resilience Across Cultures, Presented at the Positive Psychology Conference, Dubai, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2018, March). Data-Driven Decisions, Abu Dhabi Educational Council 6.2 Leadership Professional Development, Al Ain, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2016, June). School Improvement: What Works? Department of Education and Knowledge, Al Ain, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2015, May). 21st Century Teachers, ADEC Teacher Professional Development Workshop, Al Ain, UAE.
Mizyed, H. (2015). Community of critical thinkers. Al Ain's New School Model eNewsletter. 12, 3-4.