What is a Hispanic Serving Institution?
The Hispanic Serving Insitution (HSI) designation requires 25% of the student body be of Latinx heritage, and currently, more than 39% of our students identify as Hispanic or Latinx. In addition, we are a member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), which offers scholarships and leadership programs to students of HSIs.
Why attend an HSI?
With more than 49% of Latinx high school graduates entering college, the benefits of attending an HSI are vast:
- Latinx students graduate at higher rates when at HSIs
- 65% of Latinx college students attend HSIs and 40% graduate from HSIs
- The majority of first-generation, low-income students in the US graduate from HSIs
- As an HSI, SXU is committed to serving our Latinx students to help them succeed
Though the number of HSI-designated schools are growing, not all HSIs are the same. SXU is one of the top 5 fastest growing HSIs in Illinois and one of the top 5 Illinois schools serving Latinx students. As an HSI, SXU boasts:
- Educational experience that develops character through a Mercy-inspired liberal arts program
- Career preparation through 21st century degree programs
- Environment that welcomes and embraces Latinx cultures