Newly renovated SXU library named Robert and Mary Rita Stump
To be known henceforth as “The Robert and Mary Rita Stump Library”
Chicago (May 18, 2009)--Saint Xavier University President Judith A. Dwyer, Ph.D. announced Sunday, May 17 during Spring Undergraduate Commencement ceremony that the newly renovated and expanded SXU library, located in the Warde Academic Center, will be named after Robert and Mary Rita Stump.
“Robert and Mary Rita Stump exemplify the mission and core values of Saint Xavier University,” President Dwyer said. “We are pleased to announce today that the expanded and renovated Library on Saint Xavier University’s Chicago campus will now be known as ‘The Robert and Mary Rita Stump Library.’”
Robert and Mary Rita Stump received also the conferral by Saint Xavier University of the degree Doctor of Public Service, honoris causa, during the undergraduate ceremony.
Mary Rita Stump is daughter of the late Morgan and Anne Murphy. Morgan Murphy, Sr. was a great friend and advisor to Saint Xavier and the Sisters of Mercy throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Between 1952-1954, Morgan Murphy, Sr. had a significant role in helping to secure the land for the Chicago Campus of Saint Xavier University. He was one of the first members of the then-College Lay Advisory Board, received an honorary degree from Saint Xavier in 1960, and was a Life Trustee of the University from 1966 until his death.
Mr. and Mrs. Stumps’ philanthropic spirit and affection for Saint Xavier University include real estate for the Orland Park Campus and financial gifts, including a gift to the Mercy Endowment Challenge.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Joe Moore
(773) 298-3937 or email@example.com