Shannon Center Weekly Nutrition Tip – BBQ Recipes you’ll love!
Looking for something to add to your BBQ menu? Check out these healthy recipes below! Serve with lean ground turkey burgers (season with salt, pepper and garlic) and add a whole grain bun. Viola!
Black Bean and Couscous Salad
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2 quart or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn and beans and toss to coat.
- Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Great to pair with grilled chicken or even by itself for a quick meal!
Parmesan Roasted Corn on the Cob
- ½ cup mayonnaise, light
- 5 ears corn, husk and silk removed
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Brush a thin layer of mayonnaise on each ear of corn. Sprinkle the corn with the Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Wrap each ear with aluminum foil and place on the grill.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until the kernels begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Kelly Devine Rickert MS RDN CSSD LDN