Shannon Center Weekly Nutrition Tip – Celebrating the Fourth of July
What better way to celebrate being an American than firing up that grill this Fourth of July? Here are some healthy veggie side dishes to add to your July 4 menu this holiday!
Quick tip: Use a grill basket, or place tinfoil down on grill so you lose less veggies and for a quicker clean up!
- Asparagus — a powerhouse of nutrients, folate and antioxidants! After grilling, toss with lemon juice and some shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Corn — Always a staple in my house, add some corn on the cob to the grill this year! (I husk corn first then grill to get more flavor). I use Brummel and Brown yogurt spread and then choose from herbs and other condiments to add some more flavor: garlic, pepper, cilantro, parmesan cheese, light mayo, sour cream or Greek yogurt spread. The sky is the limit!
- Mixed Veggies — Dice up your favorite vegetables, toss lightly in olive oil and throw in some garlic for flavor… Viola! Choose any combo from the following: Tomatoes (deseeded), onions, red, green, yellow peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. I typically place some tin foil packets of these veggies where there is room left on the grill. Steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Green Beans — Toss lightly with olive oil and some salt and pepper, and grill for about 10 minutes in the grill basket.
- Pineapple — Throw some slices of pineapple on the grill to add to your grilled chicken sandwiches! (This is not a veggie but still packed with nutrients.)
Happy Fourth of July! Have a safe and happy holiday with your family and friends!
Kelly Devine Rickert MS RD CSSD LDN