SXU's WXAV 88.3FM celebrates 25 years on the airwaves
Saint Xavier University's (SXU) student-run radio station WXAV 88.3FM will celebrate its 25th anniversary on the broadcast airwaves. Over the course of its history, WXAV has seen many changes, specifically to its daily operations. In the beginning, the student-run radio station would only broadcast for about 12 hours a day; whereas now, it broadcasts 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. It also reaches a worldwide audience by streaming LIVE at WXAV.com.
Technology wise, the station has moved away from majority analog equipment to now almost completely digital. As the years have passed, WXAV has also increased its music library, appealing to a wide range of music genres for all audience members to enjoy!
"One thing that has stayed the same [over the broadcasting years], is the passion all participating students have towards the station," said Peter Kreten, director of student media. "I'd like to see WXAV continue to grow, develop and embrace the changing trends in broadcasting. I hope the next 25 years of WXAV will cement its legacy as being one of the premier college radio stations in the country."
Below are some of the accomplishments of WXAV over the years:
- Won over a dozen Illinois Broadcasting Associations Student Silverdome Awards (IBA), including eight first place awards;
- WXAV took second place twice (2003 and 2013) in the Professional IBA Silverdome Awards in Public Affairs programming, beating out WGN-AM and 101.9FM The Mix;
- In 2010, WXAV was named by Paste Magazine as one of the "Best College Radio Stations in the U.S."
- Students have arranged and interviewed artists such as: Sean Lennon, Moby, Coldplay, Ralph Nadar, Ziggy Marley, Dane Cook, the Dropkick Murphys, Local H, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mr. McFleely from Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, Andrew W.K., Nikki Silva from the Kitchen Sisters on NPR, Michele Gondry, and Beach Slang;
- Named as one of the top college radio stations in the city of Chicago by the Chicago Tribune;
- Has been featured in publications such as: The Washington Post; Avvenire, The Daily Southtown, Chicago Sun-Times, and TimeOut Chicago;
- One of the founding stations of the international event known as College Radio Day.
In an effort to celebrate the 25 years, WXAV will host the following events during SXU's 2016 Homecoming Week Celebration:
- WXAV Alumni Takeover, October 1 – 8 in the Campus Media Center – WXAV would like to welcome back its alumni to the airwaves! During the week of Oct. 1 – 8, the radio station alumni will partner with current WXAV DJs to broadcast their old college radio programs. Timeslots will vary 2 – 3 hours in length, and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- WXAV: The Next 25 Years, Wednesday, October 5 at 7 p.m. in the Campus Media Center – The Department of Student Media welcomes back the WXAV alumni for a very special presentation. Join us for a tour of the studios, provide updates on the stations accomplishments over the years, reconnect with old friends, and begin a discussion of how you can help WXAV continue to grow and develop over the next 25 years;
- WXAV Open House, Saturday, October 8 at 11 a.m. in the Campus Media Center – WXAV will host an open house to all returning alumni to reconnect with old friends while visiting the studios, hop on-air to broadcast special shout-outs, and meet the current WXAV staff. If you’re a former WXAV Sports Director, sign-up to "Return to the Booth" and help WXAV broadcast the Homecoming Football game against Concordia University at 1 p.m. Space is limited to broadcast the game, so please register soon;
- WXAV 25th Anniversary T–Shirts for Sale during Homecoming – WXAV 25th Anniversary t-shirts will be on sale during Homecoming week. T-shirts S – XL will be $10 and XXL will be $12. Proceeds from these sales will go to set-up the inaugural WXAV equipment fund.
For any questions regarding WXAV or the events planned to celebrate its 25th Anniversary, please contact Peter Kreten at pkretenFREESXU or 773-298-3375.