Shannon Center Weekly Nutrition Tip – Healthy Grilled Cheese!
Healthy Grilled Cheese!
Who doesn't love a grilled cheese sandwich? Almost everyone can think back to their childhood or times with their children, and remember eating a grilled cheese. The two warm slices of bread and cheese oozing out from the middle…so delicious. You can now make a grown-up grilled cheese that will be healthier for you, but still give you that comfort feeling!
Tips to lighten up your grilled cheese:
- Go easy on the butter; try using Brummel and Brown.
- Up the fiber. Use whole grain toast for your grilled cheese
- Add some fruit or veggies. Sliced apples, tomatoes or avocados taste great on a grilled cheese!
- Use 2% or Sargento thin slices of cheese on my sandwich. Switch it up and try something different besides cheddar!
Here is a recipe to try:
Recipe: Grilled Cheese Serves: 1
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (or Brummel and Brown spread)
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 2 to 4 thin tomato slices
- 1 1/2 ounces low-fat Swiss/Cheddar/Pepper Jack cheese (Avocado, green or red pepper slices go great too)
Brush olive oil or butter on one side of both slices of bread. Add one piece of bread to a warm skillet, butter side down. Top the bread slice with cheese, tomato slices or any other veggies you wish to add. Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up. Turn the heat down to medium after a minute and cook for two to four minutes on each side, checking every minute or so, until melted to your liking.
Pair with some sliced fruit, baked chips, tomato soup or a nice salad!