SXU Board of Trustees Extends President Joyner's Contract
The Saint Xavier University (SXU) Board of Trustees has approved an extension to the contract of SXU President Laurie M. Joyner, Ph.D. Dr. Joyner became the 20th president of SXU in 2017.
"The Board of Trustees voted unanimously to offer Dr. Joyner a contract extension to June 2023, which she has accepted," said Board Chairman Timothy G. Trahey '82. "She has demonstrated a deep commitment to our Mercy mission, academic excellence and student success. During her time at SXU, Dr. Joyner has positioned the University for a brighter future -- academically, financially and strategically -- and she has worked tirelessly with faculty and staff to strengthen the position of SXU in an increasingly competitive higher education space."
Selected accomplishments of the University community during her tenure include:
- Enrolling the largest first-year class in the 173-year history of the University and improving the first-to-second year retention rate by more than two points
- Creating an Integrated Planning and Budgeting Committee (IPBC) to link planning, budgeting and assessment
- Introducing more than a dozen new academic offerings
- Expanding high-impact practices such as student-faculty collaborative research to enhance student engagement and learning, support faculty scholarship, recognize excellence in teaching and scholarship, and add to the intellectual vitality of campus
- Securing continued Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation
- Strengthening the financial position of the University in terms of cash from operations, summer revenue, and debt reduction
- Securing the largest National Science Foundation (NSF) grant in SXU history at nearly $1.5M for promoting success in STEM
- Implementing a campus-wide Service Excellence Program aligned with SXU core values
- Participating in the Illinois Equity in Attainment (ILEA) initiative to eliminate achievement gaps in college degree completion by racial and socioeconomic groups
- Restructuring University Advancement and improving fundraising performance
- Hiring and/or retaining capable senior leadership
- Launching a comprehensive, strategic planning process led by faculty and staff and dedicated to creating an institution that is mission-focused, student-centered, performance-based, and financially sustainable
"We are heirs to a proud and noble legacy and I remain honored to be a part of this special learning community," said SXU President Joyner. "I am grateful for the confidence the Board has shown in my leadership, and I am exceedingly thankful for the many contributions of our dedicated faculty and staff. I look forward to our continuing work ahead to ensure that talented students continue to be educated for competence, character, compassion, and career success in our rich, Mercy tradition."