SXU Campus Closure Due to Weather
Due to the extreme weather conditions, Saint Xavier University (SXU) will be closed beginning on Tuesday, January 29 at 5 p.m. All evening classes and activities are also canceled on Wednesday, January 30. The men's and women's basketball games against Calumet St. Joseph have postponed and will be played on Monday, February 4. Normal operations will resume at noon on Thursday, January 31.
In preparation for the safety hazards frigid weather can bring, SXU wants its campus community and neighbors to be cautious and take heed of the following tips recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing, including coats, scarves, mittens and boots. Everyone is also encouraged to dress in layers.
- Walk slowly when outside.
- Carry a cell phone at all times.
- If traveling to or from campus, drive slowly and be aware of current and forecast weather conditions.
- Pack an up-to-date emergency kit in your car that includes a flashlight, first aid kit, sand for icy walkways, and extra medicine or batteries.
Staying out in the cold too long can also cause serious health problems such as hypothermia and frostbite. Hypothermia is a dangerous condition that can occur when a person is exposed to extremely low temperatures and can affect the brain. Frostbite is a bodily injury caused by freezing that results in loss of feeling and color in affected areas. Frostbite can permanently damage the body and severe cases can lead to amputation.
SXU wishes everyone to stay safe during these extreme weather conditions. For the most up-to-date information, please visit SXU's Weather and Emergency webpage.