Career and Major Exploration
Whether you are exploring a major or mapping out career options, there are a number of resources and appointment types available to help you through this process. When narrowing down your options, it is best to consider the skills that you already have or know that you can acquire as well as your interests and values.
In addition to these considerations, students can use the Japanese concept of Ikigai which means, "a reason for being." The following video challenges students to identify their Ikigai using four questions:
- What do you love?
- What does the world need?
- What are you good at?
- What can you get paid for?
16 Personalities (MBTI)
16 Personalities is a free online assessment that will provide you with an accurate description of who you are and why you do the things you do. These results may be helpful in understanding major and career fit based on personality.
The CliftonStrengths assessment helps individuals identify their strengths and connect these to a possible major or career. There is a fee ($19.99) associated with this assessment.
The Illinois Career Information System
The Illinois Career Information System is an internet site that provides individuals with tools for career planning. There are several components to this free site including career assessments as well as information regarding occupations, employment, education and training. User ID = Illinois | Password = careers
Career planning is a process through which you learn more about yourself and about the world of work in order to make intentional and informed plans for your professional future.
Helpful Career Planning Steps at SXU
- Choosing a Major
- Career Development Plan for Undecided Majors
- Reality Testing: Next, you can confirm your career choices by gaining experience related to your chosen field by gaining pre-professional experience and by talking with established professionals about the true nature of the work through our LinkedIn site
- Job Searching: Finally, as you get closer to graduation, you have the opportunity to use our Job Search Skills Services, which includes assistance with resume and cover letter writing, interviewing skills, job fair preparation and job search techniques.
Resources by Major
Every undergraduate major at Saint Xavier is represented on our Resources by Major page. Click on each major to learn more about various career paths, internships, pre-professional experiences, resources, and academic department information that can help you make an informed decision about how to best use your SXU degree in the world of work!
- What Can I Do with This Major?
These links feature information on a wide variety of occupations, including job descriptions, educational requirements, and employment forecasts for those fields. Some of these links also include skills assessment tools.
- O*Net - Career Exploration
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Career Match Read through thousands of unique career profiles, including cutting edge jobs, salary ranges, and videos as an inside look into different careers.
- Job Shadow contains hundreds of video interviews with professionals in a wide variety of careers