Shannon Center Rules and Policies
The Shannon Center is free to SXU students, faculty, staff, trustees, Sisters of Mercy and current President's Club members. All Shannon Center Members are limited to one guest per visit. The charge for a guest to use the facility is $10 per day on any given day. Each guest must fill out a waiver form before entering the Shannon Center.
Community members are welcome at all public events (Cougar games, lectures, concerts, etc.), to use the bookstore and snack bar and to enroll in summer camp programs.
- Everyone using the exercise facilities must swipe their current ID card and sign in at the Shannon Center front desk located in the middle of the lobby. All ID cards must be current in order to gain access to the facility.
- The North and South staircases are to be used for emergency or large events only. All members must enter the 2nd floor using the central staircase or the elevator after swiping and signing in at the front desk.
- Membership cards may not be given to or used by any other person. Misrepresentation or misuse will result in cancellation of membership.
- All members must be at least 18 years of age.
- No dunking and/or hanging on the basketball rims in the gyms.
- Racquetball reservations are recommended. Please call the front desk at 773-298-3597.
- Spitting on the track is not allowed.
- Parts of the facility may be closed off for events or practices. Signs and calendars will be posted.
- Please do not leave valuable items in the storage cubicles located on the track and in the fitness center.
- The Shannon Center is not responsible for anything that is lost, stolen or left behind.
- The Shannon Center has the right to revoke a membership if the member is in violation of the rules and policies of the Shannon Center.
- The Shannon Center has the right to change the rules and policies, if needed.
- Foul language is not allowed in the Shannon Center.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Strollers are not permitted on the track.
- Please be respectful to all patrons in the Shannon Center. Verbal or physical attacks will be addressed with management and Public Safety. Patrons may be asked to leave or membership may be revoked.
- Please wipe down cardio equipment after use.
- Please put all weights back in their proper location.
- No chalk use allowed.
- Please limit your time on all cardio equipment during peak hours (3-7 p.m.).
- Please allow other members to share the equipment when you are doing multiple sets on a piece of equipment.
- Foul language is not allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Shirts and gym shoes must be worn at all times.
- No jeans are allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Please be respectful to all members. Verbal or physical attacks will be addressed with management and Public Safety. Members may be asked to leave or membership may be revoked.
SXU students, faculty, staff and members are allowed 2 guests each. Guest fees are $10 per person. All guests must fill out a waiver and pay at the Shannon Center front desk. All guests must be at least 18 years of age.
- Shirts must be worn at all times in the Shannon Center (Fitness Center, track, gyms and lobby).
- Shirts must cover the entire chest and abdomen.
- No open toe shoes, boots or dress shoes allowed when exercising.
- No jeans in the fitness center.
- No profanity or crude comments on T-shirts.
All managers on duty are First Aid and AED certified. An AED machine is located at the bottom of the central staircase. In case of a non-emergency situation, please contact a Shannon Center employee. If the situation is an emergency, please call 911.
The Shannon Center closes the track and locker rooms early for events, including volleyball and basketball games as well as other special events. Stop by the Shannon Center front desk to pick up a monthly calendar or view the closings online.
Lockers are available for members while they are using the Shannon Center. Personal belongings may not be left in lockers overnight. Locks will be cut and belongings will be removed at the end of each business day. Members will be responsible for bringing their own locks. The Shannon Center is not responsible for any items that are lost, stolen or left behind.
Lost and Found is located at the Shannon Center front desk. Valuable items may be in a manager's office. If you lost something, please call the front desk at 773-298-3597 or a manager on duty at 773-298-3592.
Group exercise classes are available for all current SXU students, faculty/staff and members free of charge (unless otherwise noted). Group exercise classes run continuously throughout the year and new participants are welcome anytime. Please note that if a group exercise class has consistently low numbers, the class may be canceled.
- All students, faculty/staff and members are entitled to a free fitness orientation by a fitness specialist. To learn how to use the equipment, please set up an appointment by filling out the fitness orientation binder located at the Shannon Center front desk or email Jennifer Quinlan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Personal training is available upon request. There is an additional fee for personal training. Outside trainers are not permitted in the Shannon Center. For information regarding personal training, please call 773-298-3778.
SXU students, faculty and staff can attend all SXU home athletic events free of charge. Members of the community pay only $5 per adult and $3 per child.
The Shannon Center hosts several events throughout the year, such as the popular Cougar 5K Run/Walk, Health Fair, Indoor Duathlon and Fitness Challenges. To view all upcoming Shannon Center events, please pick up a monthly calendar at the Shannon Center front desk.