Saint Xavier University Chicago Campus

Dean of Students

Report Bias

Reporting a Bias Incident

In line with its mission, core values and its Catholic, Mercy identity, Saint Xavier University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community in which its students can learn and grow. As part of that commitment, the Office of the Dean of Students encourages students to report behavior that discriminates, stereotypes, excludes or harasses anyone in the community.



Bias incidents and/or hate crimes involve behavior that is motivated by bias or prejudice against an individual or group of people based on personal characteristics or identity, including but not limited to: age, gender/gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability. Hate crimes are bias incidents that include a violation of criminal statute such as property damage, personal injury or other illegal conduct.


Bias incidents may take the form of:


A staff member from the Office of the Dean of Students will contact the individual making the report, unless the reporter does not submit a name. (We strongly encourage students to submit their names with reports so that appropriate follow-up can occur.)

Depending on the nature of the report, the Dean of Students Office may implement one or more of the following options:


Professional staff members in the Dean of Students Office regularly maintain confidential information and will do their best to be sensitive to and respectful of the wishes of the reporter. Some bias incidents are more public than others, e.g. awareness of graffiti in a residence hall will be more public than a private incident between two people. If the incident rises to the level of a student conduct case and/or a criminal act, options for pursuing those two avenues will in most cases be at the discretion of the reporting student. Information regarding an immediate threat of harm to oneself or others always requires a response by University staff.


Reports can be made online.

Additionally, reports can be made verbally or in writing to any member of the Office of the Dean of Students staff, which includes staff in the departments of Student Life, Residence Life and Student Media. Public Safety officers, including those working at the desks in the residence halls, on patrol or at the Public Safety main office may also be contacted.

Don't think this is the right report for you? You can fill out a general incident report online.