Experiential Learning Center
Attention: Internships are on hold due to COVID-19 and that they will resume in spring 2021.
The Graham School of Management Experiential Learning Center provides opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to engage in a hands-on learning experience conducted in field based settings with relevant firms outside the traditional classroom environment. Primarily identified as an "internship" it is, in reality, an inductive process (learning by doing and reflecting) supported by collegiate level of courses and classroom experiences. Students also have the opportunity to apply their internship experience toward a college credit elective.
The desired outcome is to help students develop marketable skills and prepare them of productive careers after graduation. This is accomplished by forging academic learning (i.e. the process of acquiring knowledge and information through the study of a subject without the necessity for direct experience) with experiential learning (i.e., involving the student in a concrete experience) to instill new knowledge in the student. The following attributes are an integral part of the overall experiential learning experience:
- Reflection and Critical Analysis of Real Life Problems and Opportunities Within the Real World Business Environment
- The Opportunity to Make Decisions, Recommendations, and Accountability for Results
- Learn from Mistakes as well as Success
- Engage Intellectually, Creatively and Socially in a Business Environment
Presented below is an example of select organizations where our students have successfully secured internships:
- The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- The Walt Disney College Program
- The Oak Lawn Chamber of Commerce
- Marquette Bank
- The Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- The Northern Trust Bank
- The Washington Internship Institute/Washington D.C.
- The Chicago Festival Association (McDonald's Thanksgiving Day Parade)
- NBC Universal
- CNA Insurance
- Panduit Corporation
- Ozinga Construction
- Hawkeye Hotel Group
- True Partners Tax Consulting
- Executive Club of Chicago
- Chicago White Sox
- Advocate Health Care
Visit SXU's Center for SUCCESS to work on resume building, mock interviewing, internship/job placement and networking opportunities.
Join Handshake, your one-stop shop for job opportunities and career resources.
As a business major, make sure you are checking GSM's Concentration Canvas pages for opportunities within your field.
Also, be sure to look at the Academic and Career Resource Guide.