Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Student Employment

Student worker positions are available in a wide variety of functions across many departments on campus. Examples of typical first-year positions might include working guest reception in the Shannon Center, serving meals in Dining Services or clerical support in one of the academic departments. Typically, preference is given to students eligible for Federal Work-Study (FWS), but there are a limited number of positions available for those who do not qualify to FWS. FWS eligibility is not a guarantee of employment.


By working on campus, students can:

  • Assist with educational finances
  • Build critical professional skills
  • Receive preparation for the world of work
  • Develop a positive affiliation and assimilation into the life of the University

Students should visit Handshake to register for an account and search for positions prior to the start of the academic year. Additional application details are available in the Resource Library of Handshake.

Important Points

  • No resumes are accepted. Only the formal "Student Employment Application" form will be accepted for on-campus work-study positions!
  • Once you upload your application, you may need to wait a short while before being able to submit, so that it can be processed and approved through the system.
  • You must apply separately to each distinct position. You can use the same application for each one.
  • If the department is interested in hiring you, you will be contacted directly by that department for an interview or meeting.
  • If any information on your application changes while you are seeking on-campus employment, be sure to update the Student Employment Application and re-upload the new copy to your Handshake account.

Questions regarding positions or applications should be directed to the Center for SUCCESS at 773-298-3131 or If you would like to explore off-campus opportunities, please contact us for more information or visit Handshake for other opportunities.

Questions regarding payroll or time card issues should be directed to Human Resources/Payroll at 773-298-3452.