Graduate Education | TESOL Certificate
The TESOL Certificate (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the world-recognized credential for teaching English, and with it, you are able to teach adults and children in U.S. language schools, adult education programs, and community-based and other non-profit organizations. The TESOL Certificate also prepares you to teach abroad in language schools and private schools as well as to apply for programs such as the Fulbright English Teacher Assistant program, Peace Corps and similar agencies.
In an increasingly globalized and transnational world with dynamic migration patterns, there is a great need for English teachers. With the TESOL Certificate, you can be a part of one of the most rewarding professions. The teaching approach and curriculum of this certificate is infused with the Sisters of Mercy Critical Concerns: immigration, women, racism, nonviolence and the Earth.
What will I learn?
- Effective teaching practices for English learners
- The linguistic and cultural assets of multilingual/multicultural students
- The differences among teaching adults, youth and children
- Teaching through a lens of social justice and with an ethic of care
- Language structure
- Cultural humility and reflectiveness
What will I gain?
- Significant connections to a community of learners
- Empathy for those new to this country or new to the English language
- A strong sense of professional and civic identity
- Growth and confidence in your own skills speaking to groups as well as listening reflectively
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!
- Email: graduateadmissionFREESXU