Get swept away in the beauty and complexity of music as you pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Music! At SXU, music represents more than a collection of sounds; it represents the development of a rich history and the exploration of what lies ahead.
- Performance: Learn the technique and skills in one or more areas of music, beyond basic musicianship at a level consistent with a liberal arts degree and gain a deep understanding of a variety of musical styles.
- Musicianship: Develop your own musical style as you work conceptually with elements of music and read musical notation.
- Composition: Experiment with a wide selection of musical literature, compositional processes and aesthetic properties of style, and recognize the ways they shape, and are shaped by, artistic and cultural forces.
- History and Repertory: Discover the origin of musical genres, their cultural impacts and the depth of principal musical eras.
- Synthesis: Develop and defend musical judgments.
With a combination of classroom and individual instruction, your faculty can get to know you and guide you along your journey to success.
- You have greater opportunity for performance -- including leading roles in opera performances or solo pieces with choral and instrumental ensembles.
- You work one-on-one with a faculty mentor to prepare for your Senior Project Presentation or Senior Recital that demonstrates the culmination of your music studies.
SXU celebrates musical arts with large and small ensembles and musical events held throughout the academic year. Whether you are performing or attending with your friends and family, you can look forward to these annual concerts and more:
- Flute Choir
- Christmas Spectacular
- Jazz Night
- Jazz Festival
- Senior Recital
Bonus Scholarship Options
When you apply to SXU as a Music major, you will audition with the Music Department in your area of expertise. In doing so, you will also be considered for music scholarships and talent awards that can be added to other forms of Financial Aid.
Versatile Career Options
A major in Music gives you the freedom to explore your interests and choose electives that excite you, which prepare you for a broad range of career options geared toward your interests. Some of the option could include:
- Event producer, manager or coordinator
- Sound technician
If you are interested in a more specialized field, you may consider graduate school.
The Music Department at SXU is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
In addition to the employment opportunity websites below, the Center for SUCCESS uses Handshake to share internships and jobs with students. Please explore the positions provided
in the automated feed or click, "View All" to explore positions in Handshake using
your major as a filter.
Although we attempt to screen all employers and positions, the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University assume no liability for the accuracy of information shared in this feed or through Handshake. The views and opinions shared by employers through Handshake do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Center for SUCCESS and Saint Xavier University. Please note: this feed may include positions not directly related to your major because employers can assign all majors to a particular position. If you have any questions about a particular employer or position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer: Mauser Packaging Solutions Expires: 03/31/2021 Mauser Packaging Solutions is a global leader in solutions and services across the...
Employer: Molson Coors Beverage Company Expires: 03/19/2021 Role DescriptionThe Distribution Strategy Student Professional will work very...
Employer: After School Matters Expires: 03/26/2021 After School Matters provides Chicago high school teens with high quality, after-school...
Employer: Aon Expires: 03/20/2021 Interested in launching your career in Compensation Consulting? Rewards Solutions, a unit of Aon’s Human...
Employer: MedPro Disposal Expires: 03/19/2021 As a Marketing Intern, you'll be bringing a detailed and process driven mindset to execute...
Employer: Molson Coors Beverage Company Expires: 03/29/2021 Overview Molson Coors Beverage Company (MCBC) is executing an exciting...
Employer: AbbVie Expires: 03/03/2021 Department Description:The Collaborative and Visual Design Services Team provides a variety of...
Employer: AbbVie Expires: 03/15/2021 2021 Experiential Intern Job Description – Research InternCandidate will be responsible for performing...
Employer: City of Milwaukee Expires: 03/06/2021 Purpose Assist engineers, architects, engineering technicians, public works inspectors and...
Employer: SpartanNash Expires: 03/29/2021 At SpartanNash, relationships matter, and our Corporate team takes that sentiment to heart in the...